Honored Contributor

I used to love to read this kitchen forum and the recipe forum.  Back when DH still worked I would drop everything and make one of these recipes on the spot.  Now cooking is a drag.  I'm looking forward to the delivery of David's new shortcut book, hoping it will revive my buried cooking spirit. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: I've lost the will to cook

Oh how I hope you get your cooking spirit back.  I have seen my MIL stop cooking since FIL passed away 10 years ago.  Now she lives on frozen meals and only eats home cooked meals when she comes to my house.

I had a cookbook which was based on cooking for 2 people. Other than the Hungry Girl books, I don't know of any others which focus on meals for 1.

Honored Contributor

@depglassI'm with you -  I like cookbooks, but not so much to make their recipes.  I do cook for myself at least once every week, but that might involve cleaning a bone-in chicken breast, scrubbing a sweet potato and prepping a handful of fresh green beans - hardly any work or time, no recipe required and there're always leftovers.  Not sure my kitchen habits would work so well if someone else had to eat with me!

Respected Contributor

I know what you mean.i used to love cooking but since becoming diabetic it has become a bit of a drag. I don’t eat much meat and I am so tired of chicken. DH says ,” it’s edible”. Such high praise. This week the menu is sandwiches and tonight is breakfast for dinner. I have several cooking for two books or booklets.

Honored Contributor

I've stated to hate cooking.  I have a horrid kitchen with insufficent counter space.  Now if I could just acquire a hatred of eating, I'd be in good shape.  My meals have become very rudimentry too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I know what you mean!  I used to enjoy cooking, now it's just a chore...

Respected Contributor

@depglass  I've been living alone for many, many years.  Luckily, during that time, I acquired a taste for raw vegetables, so I eat a lot of salads that include beans and chicken or tuna.

When it gets cold outside (I'm a freeze baby) I sometimes just layer the chopped vegetables in a pot, put the tuna and tomatoes on top with some seasoning and a bit of water.  I then heat it all on med-high for a few minutes until all is hot (not soggy).  I then dump it on a dinner plate and top with shredded cheese.......yum!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I hope you get your cooking mojo back.  If not for everyday cooking the for weekend and holiday cooking.  Honestly, I think most women get to that point as we age, cooking just loses it's appeal.  We've done so much of it over the decades!  I don't force it, I just go with the flow but I still enjoy cooking and baking for the holidays and family birthdays.

Respected Contributor

Early in life I used to get dinner every night for my parents and younger sisters when my mom went to work. I was in the fourth  grade.  I did the weekend cake baking too.

When I got married I tried the really neat things: shush kebab, roast pork on the spit, etc.

Then while in grad school, I got transferred to the midnight shift and DH took over.  While he was in law school nearby,  I was transferred to downtown. He kept on cooking.

Then I was promoted and transferred to HDQs in north Jersey with a 3+ hour commute with a carpool buddy.  DH keptnon cooking.

He still does...but he said I still had to make huge marinara batches to freeze several times a year for our pasta, pizza and soups !  It is one of the first things I do when we get to snowbird in FL but this time I am sending down the huge pot I have extra at home so I only make it once !  

Do what you love....you may get the desire to cook again or even cook differently.  It is OK !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@depglass: you are not alone.

Just me. Kids are grown and gone. Must eat light. Kitchen in my new place leaves much to be desired. A project for next year.

DS is coming home for Christmas from being stationed abroad. Excited! I hope I can remember enough to cook for him! Only off the hook for Christmas dinner at sister's house and one dinner of his favorite that he can't get overseas-Chinese!