Super Contributor

Re: I've got MBR's tuna noodle casserole on the menu for Tuesday.. has anyone tried it?

On 1/25/2014 house cat said:
On 1/25/2014 D Oro said:

I have hated tuna casserole since I was in college. One of my roommates made it every night for a week. Plus tuna salad for lunch. It was her week to cook. I've never been able to tolerate either since. She also made potato salad with instant mashed potatoes. She froze the reconstituted potatoes in ice cube tray to get the correct shape. Of course it was inedible frozen and disgusting thawed. We still laugh about that. She is a school principle and an excellent cook.

Yes! That is exactly how I looked on day 5 of the tuna overload.

Regular Contributor

Re: I've got MBR's tuna noodle casserole on the menu for Tuesday.. has anyone tried it?

Nope. Can't do warm tuna in any way shape or form but hope you like it!

Frequent Contributor

This sounds good to me. I'll have to try this recipe. We never had tuna noodle casserole when I was growing up. I don't think my father liked tuna.

Contributor

No, because I refuse to use cream of....anything.....soup. I make a cheese sauce for my tuna noodle casserole and use fresh mushrooms. DH would never eat tuna noodle casserole at all until I made this one. Now he'll ask me to make this recipe from time to time.

There's just something about "cream of" soups that I don't like. My mother used them a lot when we were growing up, so maybe that's why I don't like them.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/27/2014 PamelaSuein72 said:

No, because I refuse to use cream of....anything.....soup. I make a cheese sauce for my tuna noodle casserole and use fresh mushrooms. DH would never eat tuna noodle casserole at all until I made this one. Now he'll ask me to make this recipe from time to time.

There's just something about "cream of" soups that I don't like. My mother used them a lot when we were growing up, so maybe that's why I don't like them.

I don't like to use "cream of..." either but I dont' really have a recipe for a cream sauce to sub. Would you mind sharing yours?

Contributor

Sure....here you go! I don't know why it's all highlighted. I copied it from my cookbook in Word.

Tuna And Noodles

12 ounce package egg noodles
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 stalk celery, chopped (can use more)
1 medium onion, chopped (can use more)
1 medium green pepper, chopped (can use more)
4 ounces sliced mushrooms (can use more)
1/4 cup flour
1-1/2 cups milk (I use skim milk)
1 cup extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (can use low-fat cheese, like Cabot)
12-1/2 oz. can tuna in water, drained

Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and toss with 1 tablespoon butter. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Arrange noodles in pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Melt remaining butter in sauce pan. Combine 1 tablespoon melted butter with bread crumbs and set aside. To remaining butter, add onion, celery, pepper, and mushrooms and sauté 10 minutes. Stir in flour until combined. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in milk until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese and tuna. Spoon into baking pan. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Serve hot.

My Note: I open and use 3 small cans of tuna, drained, for this recipe. The can size has been decreased to five ounces now, so it's OK. You can also use more Cheddar, if you like.

Honored Contributor

it looks good, although i dont care for mushrooms, so i will leave those out! you can substitute chicken or turkey very easily if you dont want to use tuna!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My favorite in college Good white tuna, Cream of mushroom soup, few tsps water or white wine, 8 or 10 ruffles potato chips, stir and bake!
Honored Contributor

I bet she'd have a great recipe. I like fish meals.

Super Contributor

I prepared it yesterday and baked it tonight. It was excellent. Hubby said it was "much better than his mom's" - wow!

I enjoyed it, too. Instead of the two cans of tuna it called for, I used one large can of solid white tuna. I was careful not to break down the chunks too much while mixing it.

I will most definitely make this again.

As Sunshine said in her post, it would work well with chicken, too. I was even thinking salmon would be nice.