Honored Contributor

I've Been in the Dark for 20 Years.

Who knew?  So, I have lived in this house for 20+ years.  It was built in the 80's and the oven is original to the house.  I don't use it that often anymore, but yesterday I needed to cook lasagna and decided to use it even though I could've used my Oster oven.  When I was moving the racks around I noticed some charred stuff in the bottom, so today I decided to clean that out.  It's a self cleaning oven, so that might have been the char left over from the one time I ran that cycle several years ago.  Don't hate me for not being a clean freak.

Anyways, I then noticed how dirty the inside of the oven door was and decided to try the Dawn Powerwash I got to clean the Ninja Foodi mesh filter, the one thing that isn't non-stick in the gadget.  It works quite well for that purpose.  I was actually surprised at how good a job it did on the oven door, although the glass window needed more scrubbing and I still didn't get all the little brown spots off even using an SOS pad.

After I closed the oven door I wiped down the outside and noticed a strange indent on the handle.  Could it be?  I pushed on it, nothing.  I guess not.  But, I pushed a little harder and......Voila!  The light inside the oven came on.  I have been complaining for 20 years that this oven didn't have a switch for the light so that I could check on the food without opening the oven door.  Even my mother's 60's oven had that switch and my 80's model didnt.  Well, I guess it did. 

Oven Switch.jpg

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: I've Been in the Dark for 20 Years.

Isn't it crazy that you find a new feature on a piece of equipment that you've been using for years!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you...for this thread.  I moved to a condo 3 years ago, after 35 years in a house.  Appliances in apt are a lot more modern and thanks to your post...I can now check oven without opening door!!

@Icegoddess wrote:

Who knew?  So, I have lived in this house for 20+ years.  It was built in the 80's and the oven is original to the house.  I don't use it that often anymore, but yesterday I needed to cook lasagna and decided to use it even though I could've used my Oster oven.  When I was moving the racks around I noticed some charred stuff in the bottom, so today I decided to clean that out.  It's a self cleaning oven, so that might have been the char left over from the one time I ran that cycle several years ago.  Don't hate me for not being a clean freak.

Anyways, I then noticed how dirty the inside of the oven door was and decided to try the Dawn Powerwash I got to clean the Ninja Foodi mesh filter, the one thing that isn't non-stick in the gadget.  It works quite well for that purpose.  I was actually surprised at how good a job it did on the oven door, although the glass window needed more scrubbing and I still didn't get all the little brown spots off even using an SOS pad.

After I closed the oven door I wiped down the outside and noticed a strange indent on the handle.  Could it be?  I pushed on it, nothing.  I guess not.  But, I pushed a little harder and......Voila!  The light inside the oven came on.  I have been complaining for 20 years that this oven didn't have a switch for the light so that I could check on the food without opening the oven door.  Even my mother's 60's oven had that switch and my 80's model didnt.  Well, I guess it did. 

Respected Contributor

I went to our local garden center owned by a nice local guy who will load all your flats into the back of your car, truck or SUV.

I have an SUV ....

I opened the tailgate with my keyfob...

The guy loaded the flats, and reached up to press a button to CLOSE the tailgate.

I owned the car 4 years and never knew there was such a button!!!

Contributor

LOL

Esteemed Contributor

My clue would have been the lightbulb INSIDE the oven itself. 😉

No bulb, no need to look for that switch. 

Contributor

LOL...

Trusted Contributor

And I just found out that my smartphone can be used to place and answer calls! I usually only text, and check FB, Insta, etc.! JUST KIDDING, BUT I often laugh at myself because I rarely call or receive calls but use the smartphone MUCH more as a mini-computer.

HAPPY, HEALTHY NEW YEAR AND GOOD NEW DISCOVERIES TO ALL. Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Just an FYI - as far as I know oven windows are double paned and the remaining little brown spots might be between the panes.

Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

And I just found out that my smartphone can be used to place and answer calls! I usually only text, and check FB, Insta, etc.! JUST KIDDING, BUT I often laugh at myself because I rarely call or receive calls but use the smartphone MUCH more as a mini-computer.

HAPPY, HEALTHY NEW YEAR AND GOOD NEW DISCOVERIES TO ALL. Woman Happy

My smartphone is an expensive texting machine!  I don't use it to make calls, no one except scam calls on it so I don't answer it and I don't use it to surf the net or FB.