Honored Contributor

Re: I use cottage cheese for a lasagna layer.....do you?

On 1/11/2015 I am still oxox said:
On 1/11/2015 chickenbutt said:

Oh dear no! Although I have to say that the first recipe I ever used (I have since created my own) had cottage cheese in it (Betty Crocker old cookbook) but I STILL didn't do that.

Aside from the pasta, I have a sauce layer, a ricotta (into which I put spinach, some parm, and some herbs) layer, and a mozzarella layer. Then I save back some of the mozzarella and parm, mix that together, and put that on the top. The combination makes the top layer melt and brown nicely.

IMO, ricotta is a much better choice and my ricotta layer has so much flavor and stands up well as a layer.

I am not even Italian and using cottage cheese in a lasagna or any pasta dish is just wrong. There is a totally different taste and mouth feel in the two things

That's your opinion.

Super Contributor

I know of some people who use cottage cheese but I've never been comfortable with the idea. I use ricotta only (I love ricotta and use lots). My recipe gets raves around here. Lasagna is one of my favorites!!

Trusted Contributor

On 1/11/2015 sparklestar said:
On 1/11/2015 terrier3 said:

My mom's parents came here from Abruzzi Italy.

They only people we have ever heard of that use cottage cheese instead of ricotta are Midwesterners, people who read "Taste of Home" and cooks at Protestant potluck dinners.

Wow, that's insulting.

. I agree very insulting.
Honored Contributor

On 1/12/2015 Katey1261 said:
On 1/11/2015 sparklestar said:
On 1/11/2015 terrier3 said:

My mom's parents came here from Abruzzi Italy.

They only people we have ever heard of that use cottage cheese instead of ricotta are Midwesterners, people who read "Taste of Home" and cooks at Protestant potluck dinners.

Wow, that's insulting.

. I agree very insulting.

I agree, what a nasty remark. Certainly we can allow for more than one lasagna recipe.

Honored Contributor

On 1/12/2015 chickenbutt said:
On 1/12/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/12/2015 chickenbutt said:
On 1/12/2015 ID2 said:
On 1/11/2015 chickenbutt said:

Oh dear no! Although I have to say that the first recipe I ever used (I have since created my own) had cottage cheese in it (Betty Crocker old cookbook) but I STILL didn't do that.

Aside from the pasta, I have a sauce layer, a ricotta (into which I put spinach, some parm, and some herbs) layer, and a mozzarella layer. Then I save back some of the mozzarella and parm, mix that together, and put that on the top. The combination makes the top layer melt and brown nicely.

IMO, ricotta is a much better choice and my ricotta layer has so much flavor and stands up well as a layer.

It looks as though you didn't read the OP's original post. She uses cottage cheese AND ricotta cheese.

Thank you for the spanking. Not that it's an excuse but I had just had oral surgery and probably had no business being on the computer. I read what she wrote and I said that I did NOT use cottage cheese and mentioned what I DID use because I thought opinions were ok here. If they're not, people need to just say, right up front, that only opinion X is acceptable.

But since I'm already talking and I'm still in pain so I'm kind of pi$$y this morning (sorry about that!) I'll stand on my opinion that cottage cheese doesn't belong in lasagne.

Hey, you don't like cream of mushroom soup either, so I take all that for what it's worth! {#emotions_dlg.devil2} BUT I do hope you are feeling a lot better soon and back to enjoying some good food! It is so awful to have your mouth hurt! I had that last fall and my husband was VERY glad when I started to feel better! TAKE CARE!

Hahaha! Point taken. Smiley Happy Man, still on liquid diet. I've been 'eating' Wendy's Frostys (love!) and broth/soup. Actually cans of Campbell's broth, tomato, and chicken noodle soup. So there! No cream of mushroom, though - gack! Just that, water, and decaf tea. Getting bored with this already.

Husband's been great getting me the Frostys and broths & soups. I'm really wanting some chewable food but don't want to take a chance. Of course, I had to see a commercial with my favorite pizza and all those hamburgers! I hardly ever eat hamburgers but I could eat one now - well, if I COULD.

Today feeling peckish but pain not bad. Looking forward to it being over! Thanks for your well-wishes, my dear! I much appreciate it.

ID - I'm sorry to be kind of rude. I guess I wasn't in the mood to be called on something I said, but I totally understand what you were saying and there was nothing wrong with your having said so. Smiley Happy

Hubby was on a liquid diet for a few days one time and I said I'd make him some chicken broth to help out. He said oh no no no he'd have jello and ice pops and such. After about 8 hours of sweets he was BEGGING for more chicken broth! Sweets do get old fast don't they? Poor baby! May a burger be yours soon!

Honored Contributor

I have before. Now that I make it for me, I leave it off because I don't care for it.

Regular Contributor

I am going to agree with everyone who believes this is a regional thing. I know it is not what the majority of people do in NJ, that's for sure. The kind of Italian cooking I am use to is from friends and extended family members that were born in Italy. I cannot imagine it gets much more authentic than that. There is so much of the regional thing on this cooking board. I am always amazed when I see someone talking about a recipe for Chicken Parm, like they have just discovered it. Maybe it isn't on every Italian restaurant menu and then some out in other parts of the country? Seems so odd to me. And speaking of Chili with beans, I love it!! HA!!! That is how my mom always made it. The first time I heard of someone talking about Cincinnati Chili I had no idea what it was!!! I don't eat it like that but DH prefers his chili on pasta. How funny that I had been serving Cincinnati Chili all along and never knew it!!!

Honored Contributor

On 1/12/2015 luvsbulldogs said:

Being Italian American I use a good whole milk ricotta cheese along with a whole milk mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. I mix them together along with an egg, fresh parsley, salt and pepper. The egg keeps it all together. I use a family recipe that has been handed down for generations. I do not like the taste of cottage cheese and there is a difference between cottage cheese and ricotta cheese. The difference is the taste and the texture. I think it is all what you get use to and what you like. I also use a layer of sliced meatballs and Italian sausage in my lasagna along with my homemade marinara sauce.

i am not italian american, but my italian friends have taught me that using whole milk cheeses in the dish really makes a huge difference.....so i always try to buy whole milk cheeses, particularly for lasagna or dishes like stuffed shells and baked ziti.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I've used cottage cheese, but think I prefer mozzarella and/or ricotta cheese.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/12/2015 Chrystaltree said:

Okay, now I am laughing out loud. Dry ricotta???? Really? How would that ever happen.....lol

Cheaper brands don't have as much liquid and make it drier than usual. The more liquid the creamier it can be.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/08/taste-test-ricotta-cheese.html