Esteemed Contributor

Re: I use cottage cheese for a lasagna layer.....do you?

On 1/11/2015 Mtnbikegirl said:

No. I only use ricotta cheese in my lasagna and ziti ricotta. I am Italian American. That's how I was brought up.

Cottage cheese was something you ate with strawberries/blueberries...

Me too.

I'm not Italian American, but that's how I was brought up also. IMO there's nothing like ricotta. If I didn't have any, I would go out and get it, or else I would make something else. Cottage cheese just isn't the same thing.

Lasagna was one of the first things I learned to make, and it was my go-to dish for a long time. My lasagna & garlic bread are legendary, and I get requests often.

(I like cottage cheese too, but as part of lunch or a snack.)

Trusted Contributor

Oh my, cottage cheese in lasagna. That just wouldn't fly if you live in the Metro NY area where we cook more traditional Italian whenever possible. Ricotta is the only cheese of choice. However, cheap brands of ricotta can be very dry. I personally like creamy ricotta if and when I am making lasagna, baked ziti or manicotti.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Jaspersmom said:

Oh my, cottage cheese in lasagna. That just wouldn't fly if you live in the Metro NY area where we cook more traditional Italian whenever possible. Ricotta is the only cheese of choice. However, cheap brands of ricotta can be very dry. I personally like creamy ricotta if and when I am making lasagna, baked ziti or manicotti.

I totally agree being Italian and also living in the NY Metropolitan area.
Super Contributor

Have used cottage cheese for 35 plus years.......back in the day ricotta wasn't even available in our area.......I have used ricotta but like the creamy cottage cheese too.......Also use mozzarella and Parmesan......to each his own. .....
Respected Contributor

On 1/11/2015 terrier3 said:

My mom's parents came here from Abruzzi Italy.

They only people we have ever heard of that use cottage cheese instead of ricotta are Midwesterners, people who read "Taste of Home" and cooks at Protestant potluck dinners.

Wow, that's insulting.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/11/2015 luvtoshopathome said:

I agree also.

And it's always been readily available as far back as I can remember. When I got married in the 70's I was already very familiar with it.

Clearly, there's a regional aspect to this.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Danielle46 said:

Goodness no!! Would never use cottage cheese and it sounds down right disgusting!!! I'm Italian American so ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses is what "authentic" lasagna is made with and thats all we ever user. There is a significant difference in taste, texture, & creaminess between ricotta and cottage cheese. In addition cottage cheese has a tart aftertaste and ricotta does not.

Agree -- ricotta is dry and sawdust-like to me. lol. I prefer cottage cheese, even if it is not "authentic" to Italian-Americans. I also use mozz and Parm in my lasagna. Someone mentioned cottage cheese with blueberries or strawberries?? Ewwwww!

Honored Contributor

some of you must be buying the wrong ricotta!!!!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

On 1/11/2015 NYC Susan said:
On 1/11/2015 luvtoshopathome said:

I agree also.

And it's always been readily available as far back as I can remember. When I got married in the 70's I was already very familiar with it.

Clearly, there's a regional aspect to this.

Has to be a regional thing. I am always amazed at the heavy casseroles with cream soup recipes I see on these boards.

Being an Italian American New Yorker, my grandmother would roll over in her grave if she ever saw me use anything other than ricotta, mozzarella and parmigiana cheese in lasagne.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/11/2015 mnmom said:
On 1/11/2015 Danielle46 said:

Goodness no!! Would never use cottage cheese and it sounds down right disgusting!!! I'm Italian American so ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses is what "authentic" lasagna is made with and thats all we ever user. There is a significant difference in taste, texture, & creaminess between ricotta and cottage cheese. In addition cottage cheese has a tart aftertaste and ricotta does not.

Agree -- ricotta is dry and sawdust-like to me. lol. I prefer cottage cheese, even if it is not "authentic" to Italian-Americans. I also use mozz and Parm in my lasagna. Someone mentioned cottage cheese with blueberries or strawberries?? Ewwwww!

Breakstone's makes Cottage Doubles, which is cottage cheese packaged with various fruits. They've been around for a long time. And I've never been to a diner that didn't offer a cottage cheese platter, which is cottage cheese & fruit. Google it - It's not unusual at all.

It may not be your taste, but it most definitely is pretty common and widely-done.