Super Contributor

Re: I use cottage cheese for a lasagna layer.....do you?

I use ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese, but I do use whipped cottage cheese as a baked potato topping. My husband and I are both lactose intolerant. The sour cream gets to us, but the whipped cottage cheese doesn't bother our stomachs.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Trusted Contributor

whole milk ricotta, mixed with whole eggs, parm and romano. Whole milk mozzarella.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2015 chickenbutt said:

Oh dear no! Although I have to say that the first recipe I ever used (I have since created my own) had cottage cheese in it (Betty Crocker old cookbook) but I STILL didn't do that.

Aside from the pasta, I have a sauce layer, a ricotta (into which I put spinach, some parm, and some herbs) layer, and a mozzarella layer. Then I save back some of the mozzarella and parm, mix that together, and put that on the top. The combination makes the top layer melt and brown nicely.

IMO, ricotta is a much better choice and my ricotta layer has so much flavor and stands up well as a layer.

I am not even Italian and using cottage cheese in a lasagna or any pasta dish is just wrong. There is a totally different taste and mouth feel in the two things

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I do use cottage cheese as well as ricotta and mozzarella, all mixed together and spread between the layers of my lasagna.
Respected Contributor

I grew up with cottage cheese in my lasagna. Hubby doesn't like it, so I do ricotta, or put CC in the food processor and trick him. Smiley Wink
Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2015 I am still oxox said:

Oh dear no! Although I have to say that the first recipe I ever used (I have since created my own) had cottage cheese in it (Betty Crocker old cookbook) but I STILL didn't do that.

Aside from the pasta, I have a sauce layer, a ricotta (into which I put spinach, some parm, and some herbs) layer, and a mozzarella layer. Then I save back some of the mozzarella and parm, mix that together, and put that on the top. The combination makes the top layer melt and brown nicely.

IMO, ricotta is a much better choice and my ricotta layer has so much flavor and stands up well as a layer.

I am not even Italian and using cottage cheese in a lasagna or any pasta dish is just wrong. There is a totally different taste and mouth feel in the two things

Well, at least it isn't as bad as BEANS in CHILI! OMG! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Trusted Contributor

I have never used cottage cheese when making lasagna. I don't care for it, anyway. I have always used ricotta cheese when making my own lasagna.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/11/2015 RedTop said: I do use cottage cheese as well as ricotta and mozzarella, all mixed together and spread between the layers of my lasagna.

I do also.

Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/11/2015 Danielle46 said:

Goodness no!! Would never use cottage cheese and it sounds down right disgusting!!! I'm Italian American so ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses is what "authentic" lasagna is made with and thats all we ever user. There is a significant difference in taste, texture, & creaminess between ricotta and cottage cheese. In addition cottage cheese has a tart aftertaste and ricotta does not.

No, it's not disgusting. The really good cottage cheeses sort of melt into the sauce that is near it. I don't care for the ricotta at all. And yes, I like the aftertaste of cottage cheese better than ricotta.

It's up to what people like--don't see any "gourmet" value in it either way, just whatever dairy product one prefers. I guess truly "authentic" Italian lasagna would be made without tomatoes too huh???? Give a shout out to the New World foods!

Can you imagine cooking without tomatoes, corn, and potatoes? Wow!

Thanks you Sooner! There is usually more than one way to make a tasty and deserving dish and the alternative ways are not disgusting... I like it made either way, but as noted, think it is quite delicious made with good cottage cheese instead of (or in addition to) ricotta, 'authentic' or not... That's the funny thing about recipes, over the years, they are amended many times and with each reinvention, someone makes the recipe 'their own'.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/11/2015 I am still oxox said:

Well, at least it isn't as bad as BEANS in CHILI! OMG! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

And I don't have a problem with that either!

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...