Super Contributor

Re: I use cottage cheese for a lasagna layer.....do you?

Yes, I do use drained cottage cheese. I don`t see much difference and when I can get cottage cheese at @ 2 for $3.00 it makes it even better. I don`t feel as if I`m sacrificing quality or taste to save some money, cooking is getting very expensive.

Frequent Contributor

I don't like cottage cheese nor ricotta. I use only mozzarella.
Regular Contributor

I have never used cottage cheese in Lasagna. I live in Northern NJ and I have to believe that might be considered a sin to many Italian cooks I know. I did however make a tortellini casserole recently, it was Giada's recipe and it called for mixing the marinara sauce with Mascarpone cheese. It was good but I like Ricotta better.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, I've never made a lasagna without it.
Trusted Contributor

I would rather use ricotta, but if I haven't been to the store and don't have it on hand, I have used cottage cheese. First I drain the cottage cheese, then I put it in the Ninja and pulse it one or two times so the bigger lumps are not there. Then I add an egg or two, depending on the amount I'm making, and grated Parmesan. I mix that all together and use it as one of my layers. That's the way I have always made it.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

I use cottage cheese. I don't like the texture or dryness of ricotta.
Trusted Contributor

I use ricotta in lasagna, stuffed shells, etc. I'm not Italian, but it's what my MIL taught me. I can't stand cottage cheese in anything; it's not allowed in my fridge.

Honored Contributor

In the olden days before ""foodies"" a lot of people used cottage cheese. I am Italian so we have always used ricotta.

Contributor

My mom used only cottage cheese in her lasagna. I didn't know what ricotta was until I was an adult!

Honored Contributor

I rarely make lasagna because honestly, it's easier to find tasty lasagna out and there isn't as much around to then tempt me later, but I love it made with cottage cheese and it's not as rich and sometimes cloying as ricotta.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...