Esteemed Contributor

Re: I use cottage cheese for a lasagna layer.....do you?

Never mind. Not worth debating.

Valued Contributor

OK...so I say...to please everyone, we could put 1/2 of layer cottage cheese & 1/2 of layer Ricotta! Remember to identify each half, so you don't get the part that is YUCK to you! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

As a first generation Italian, the answer is "no to cottage cheese". I don't even think I've TRIED cottage cheese until I was in my 20s!!

We all have two lives. The second begins when you realize you only have one - Confucius
Valued Contributor

So because we seem to be getting a bit caty, I already posted but I read more and I am going to try some of the different ways to make lasagna, sound interesting.
Valued Contributor

So because we seem to be getting a bit caty, I already posted but I read more and I am going to try some of the different ways to make lasagna, sound interesting.
Honored Contributor

Although I have to say, in all the years I've been purchasing ricotta I've never seen it dry, grainy, or sawdust-like, I wonder if maybe they got some old ricotta. One thing that will help if you think it's dry is to add stuff to it -

In my ricotta layer I put some herbs such as oregano and some I cannot remember (good thing it's written down!), s&p, and some parmesan. Also, I get one of those boxes of frozen, CHOPPED, spinach. Let it thaw, take a handful of it, and squeeze it over the sink to remove almost all the water, and toss that in there too. It makes a very nice layer that has great flavor AND it holds up well with the rest of the layers too. It's very moist also.