Super Contributor

Re: I use cottage cheese for a lasagna layer.....do you?

On 1/11/2015 terrier3 said:

My mom's parents came here from Abruzzi Italy.

They only people we have ever heard of that use cottage cheese instead of ricotta are Midwesterners, people who read "Taste of Home" and cooks at Protestant potluck dinners.

Don't say that in public. You'll embarrass your kids who consider themselves and others to be Americans regardless of religion or ethnicity. They can understand regional differences without the judgmentalism.

Regular Contributor

Never. Just mozzarella, ricotta, and parmesan.

Respected Contributor

No! My mother was 100%Italian and only used ricotta cheese. When I went to my MIL's the first time for dinner, she served me Lasagna and I wondered why I didn't like it. My DH later told me that she used cottage cheese! Coming from an Italian family, I had never heard of such a thing. I don't think there's anything wrong with using cottage cheese if that's what you're used to, I just never had it with cottage cheese and I could tell the difference.

Esteemed Contributor

Its not regional, it's been in the Betty Crocker cookbook (the 2nd most popular cookbook) for decades.

Honored Contributor

My mother never really liked much except what "Mama" served in the 1930's. I always thought that was pretty provincial of her to not be more accepting of what others ate and liked, and different foods.

But I guess a lot more people than her turn their noses up at anything that is different than what they were raised with. Actually there is a whole wide world of new experiences out there, different tastes, and different regional ways of doing things and food products available.

It's good most of the planet doesn't think that way or the Italians wouldn't be putting tomatoes in ANYTHING they cook now. . . It's just food. . .

Regular Contributor

On 1/13/2015 colliegirls said:

Its not regional, it's been in the Betty Crocker cookbook (the 2nd most popular cookbook) for decades.

Just because it is in a cookbook doesn't mean it would appeal to someone. I own a few Betty Crocker cookbooks and making an Italian dish with cottage cheese is not something I would do...and I don't care what Betty says!!!!

Super Contributor

I'm Italian-American from NJ. Never would have occurred to me to use anything but ricotta (mixed with egg, grated parmeasan or romano and some parsley - the mozzarella is a separate layer). As it is, I feel like I'm "cutting corners" by using no boil lasagna noodles (Barilla tastes closest to homemade IMO). There was never a written recipe in the family as far as I knew - I just learned by watching, especially my dad's older sister who made everything from scratch - including her own sausage. I use a meat sauce for mine - with hamburger and sausage meat - and then make a marinara with meatballs and sausage to go with.

Actually, we never had cottage cheese in any form at home - I think I discovered it when I went away to college. At that time (now, too) I thought of it as a diet food. I like it but wouldn't think of cooking with it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/13/2015 tiamaria said:
On 1/13/2015 colliegirls said:

Just because it is in a cookbook doesn't mean it would appeal to someone. I own a few Betty Crocker cookbooks and making an Italian dish with cottage cheese is not something I would do...and I don't care what Betty says!!!!

I never said everyone has to like it, just saying it is printed in the famous cookbook so it is not new nor "regional".

Super Contributor

For the sixty years I have remembered mom in the kitchen, not once did she ever have ricotta cheese in the house and we had scores of lasagnas all made with cottage cheese and topped with Mozz..

Honored Contributor

On 1/13/2015 4uthebest said:

For the sixty years I have remembered mom in the kitchen, not once did she ever have ricotta cheese in the house and we had scores of lasagnas all made with cottage cheese and topped with Mozz..

Hey 4! Nice seeing you again lately. Smiley Happy