Honored Contributor

Re: I spent $50 on a dish drainer?

@house_cat wrote:

@chickenbutt

That's a standard size dish mat underneath it.

This is the product description:

Details

Ideal for small kitchens, KitchenAid's Gourmet Compact Dish Rack occupies a minimal footprint. The flatware caddy can be placed either inside or outside the rack. The drain board is tilted to prevent water pooling.

• Occupies minimal counter space, ideal for small kitchens
  • Flatware caddy features 3 compartments with two removable inserts
  • Flatware caddy is removable for unloading directly into the drawer 
  • Side section insert in flatware caddy holds small items like bottle tops
  • Removable, angled board directs water into the sink
  • Soft, non-slip feet protect countertops from scratches and keep the dish rack securely in place while loading
  • Includes 11 plate slots and 6 cup tines
  • Soft cup tine covers prevent scratching and keep glassware in place while drying
  • Rust-resistant satin coated wires are durable and easy to clean
  • Stainless steel panels add a premium design element
  • Measures 15.04”L x 13.23”W x 5.43”H
  • Fits in one side of a dual sink
  • Stainless steel/plastic

Oh wow, Thank You!!    I just went and measured the one I have and it's almost exactly that size.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I have a dishwasher, but old habits are hard to break. I still wash lots of things by hand. I recently bought a KA dish drainer. I was questioning my sanity when I spent $50 on such an item, but it’s sturdy enough for my LC vessels and anything else imaginable. I just thought I’d share because I’m happy with the purchase. 

Of course I did have a 20% coupon 👍🏻

136EE4B6-EBDC-4AAF-8DD2-0C6C18F8D751.jpeg

@house_cat Oh dear, that's a beauty!  I only wash by hand and this dish drainer is calling my name.  You have excellent taste.  Thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat. I like your dish drainer. No way would I pot my pots and pans in the dishwasher!!!Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

I don't even own a dish drainer!  If I have to wash something by hand (like my electric skillet), I just dry it and put it away or let it air dry on a towel.  I wouldn't have a place to store a drainer.

@sandy53.  No dish drainer here either. Haven't had one for 20 years. Everything goes in the dishwasher.

However if I had a drainer, the one op bought would be it.

Honored Contributor

@sandy53

@proudlyfromNJ

I've tried that several times. It has never lasted more than a day. I just can't manage it. I cook a lot and I have utensils, plates and vessels that I use several times a day.  I have to wash them or they wouldn't be available... but I admire you. I'm sure your kitchens look nicer without a dish rack.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@sandy53

@proudlyfromNJ

I've tried that several times. It has never lasted more than a day. I just can't manage it. I cook a lot and I have utensils, plates and vessels that I use several times a day.  I have to wash them or they wouldn't be available... but I admire you. I'm sure your kitchens look nicer without a dish rack.

That is similar to my situation.   I have a dishwasher, but I'm hard-pressed to even be able to fill it in a week or so.  Meanwhile, there are a number of things, including of course pots/pans, knives, etc, that I have in use virtually all the time so I need to be able to hand-wash them and have them available to use again either later that day or the next day.  Smiley Happy

I looked this item up  and it's like $72 on Amazon and that would definitely be too much.   I wonder why it is so expensive?

Anyway, I truly hope you enjoy it and it looks like it will be very handy and, hopefully, durable.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@sandy53

@proudlyfromNJ

@house_cat.  I know what you mean. I just don't have the space for a dish drain. I usually run the dishwasher every day no matter how much is in it.

In fact, I used to use the dishwasher as a drainer!

Super Contributor

I have a KA drainer similar to this one.  It is a little larger (14.5 X 20), holds 9 cups on the side and 17 plates, silverware holder on the sink end.  It has a removable drip tray which is necessary since the drainer is to large for my sink.  I have had it approximately 7 years.  It constantly is in use and is holding up well.   I don't have a dishwasher. House Cat, congratulations on your purchase!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

I don't own a dishwasher so I really need to use a dishrack - bought a Simple Human one with BBB coupon - won't even say how much I paid for it - looks nicer than the plastic one.

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I really like it, I'm in the market for a new one.

I don't like bending over a dishwasher, tummy issues, it gets old.

So I keep a drainer on my counter.

I would probably pay $50 for that, stainless steel & rust resistant.   

It will be the last one I ever need!

Thanks for sharing.

@house_cat