Respected Contributor

Re: I recieved my Keurig 2.0 and love it .

THere is a hack for the Keurig.  Just google it.  There is also a tab to fill the area with the reader in it from Roger's Family Coffee.  They gave them away for free when the coffee hit the fan after the new 2.0 came out and people couldn't use their current pods.

The old version was on sale back in September.  I bought one for work as my original Platinum is still going strong.  When it goes, I'll get the iCoffee from BBB.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Confused here - if you buy a GM car and need a replacement part - you can't use a Honda part.  Parts have to 'fit' - can't just throw in any-old part and expect it work.  I can't see where this class action against Keurig is going to work.  Enlighten me.

Yes, you can buy a GM car (for example) and a Honda part won't fit BUT not only can you buy a GM replacement part you can also buy "off market" parts made by other manufacturers that will fit and work in your GM or Honda product.  While you can't interchange the parts between a GM and a Honda, each brand out there has "after market" parts that are not made by the GM or Honda manufacturer.  But there are tons of after market parts made to fit all the cars/trucks/motorcycles out there..... so the public can choose.

That can't be said for the Keurig. They have effectively stopped all other manufacturers that make a cup that will fit the Keurig from  working in the Keurig model.  That stops the public from being able to choose and stops manufacturers from making a less expensive product that works just as well.  It's highly illegal (monopoly) that's the difference and why they are being sued.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

Confused here - if you buy a GM car and need a replacement part - you can't use a Honda part.  Parts have to 'fit' - can't just throw in any-old part and expect it work.  I can't see where this class action against Keurig is going to work.  Enlighten me.

Yes, you can buy a GM car (for example) and a Honda part won't fit BUT not only can you buy a GM replacement part you can also buy "off market" parts made by other manufacturers that will fit and work in your GM or Honda product.  While you can't interchange the parts between a GM and a Honda, each brand out there has "after market" parts that are not made by the GM or Honda manufacturer.  But there are tons of after market parts made to fit all the cars/trucks/motorcycles out there..... so the public can choose.

That can't be said for the Keurig. They have effectively stopped all other manufacturers that make a cup that will fit the Keurig from  working in the Keurig model.  That stops the public from being able to choose and stops manufacturers from making a less expensive product that works just as well.  It's highly illegal (monopoly) that's the difference and why they are being sued.

The auto manufacturers however don't get sued if the aftermarket parts for last year's model don't fit this year's model which is largely what those sueing Keurig are doing. As to the legality of what Keurig is doing, it's no different from the model used by razor sellers and printer sellers. If you go out and buy an HP printer, their inkjet cartridges will have a chip in them that largely prevents refilling the cartridges, and prevents after market cartridges from working properly.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

The auto manufacturers however don't get sued if the aftermarket parts for last year's model don't fit this year's model which is largely what those sueing Keurig are doing. As to the legality of what Keurig is doing, it's no different from the model used by razor sellers and printer sellers. If you go out and buy an HP printer, their inkjet cartridges will have a chip in them that largely prevents refilling the cartridges, and prevents after market cartridges from working properly.

And that's why it's going to court, to have the court decide how legal all this is.... from my perspective, the razor sellers and the printer sellers are doing the exact same thing, shutting out other manufacturers.  

If the auto manufacturers make a product that doesn't fit this year's model.... they are within their right to continue R & D until they get it right and then take it to market.  So it'll be interesting to see what happens with this.....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I ordered the Keurig 450 tsv but it's not set up yet. The lack of a 12 oz. option is disappointing. I know in the past that the 2.0 did not have this feature but I specifically remember the vendor rep on the tsv day saying that the 12 oz. feature for k cup pods was added for this model due to customer demand. Can't imagine why she would actually that specific stayement if it wasn't true.  Kinda bummed about this.

Valued Contributor

If the pods are for the carafe, they do make 12 oz. also, the My K cup makes 12 oz. it isn't that big a deal to run a 10 oz then a 4 oz, just an extra step.

Occasional Contributor

I bought the K450 2.0 Keurig from QVC in November.  You can increase cup size to 12 oz using the arrow in the display showing the cup size.  I use a Temp-tations large mug that came with dinnerware and 12 oz is perfect for it.  For a travel mug I have to remove the drip pan.  I use the regular kcup or my kcup for 12 oz since I like my coffee black and prefer it weaker.

Occasional Contributor

if you use the MyK cup that came with the machine then whenyou do additional numbers come up. it is either 5 or 6 opens up other sizes for travel or larger cups. Just do a little research. with the MyK cup you can choose your own coffees if you dont like the MyK pod cup that comes with it Walmart sells another for 9.97 both work well. It will also brew the carafe using the MyK Pod that came with it. I have had no issues once I started playing with it and learning the machine

Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone for the tips. 😊 I'm  setting it up tomorrow so I'll play with the settings.