Honored Contributor

I need to try hummus again, recipe to share?

Let me know if you do.  Thanks!!!

Super Contributor

Re: I need to try hummus again, recipe to share?

Blue Jean Chef's Basic recipes. Search QVC's blog for this & you'll find her hummus recipe. Or just use Google for recipe finder.

New Contributor

i made up my own hope you try it  1 can drained rinsed northern beans 1 tsp. groung cumin splash of lemon juice dash of hot sauce  i galic clove about 1 tbsp. olive oil put every thing in food processor blend till smooth we like it and it is good for your heart

Valued Contributor

Mine is from a very old cookbook called Jane Brody's Good Food Book. -

1 large onion minced

1-2 cloves of garlic minced (or to taste)

1 tbsp vegetable oil

2 cups chick peas,, drained, rinsed

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (taste before you use the entire amt)

1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce

1/4 cup tahini

1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Saute onion and garlic in oil.  Mix all ingredients in food processor or blender. Salt to taste. 

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read all of the posts, but we enjoy Costco's hummus.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's a good recipe from the website TheKitchn. (I always add cumin. And  serve with a drizzle of olive oil on top, and sprinkle with paprika.)

How To Make Hummus from Scratch

Makes about 1 1/3 cups

Ingredients
  • 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (about 2 cups drained, cooked chickpeas)
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons tahini (*or more to taste)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus more as needed
  • 1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
  • Serving options: Pita wedges, pita chips, raw sliced vegetables

Instructions
  1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Drain the chickpeas into a strainer, reserving the liquid from the can. If time and patience allows, pinch the skins from each of the chickpeas; this will make your hummus smoother.

2. Combine all ingredients in the food processor. Combine the chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in the bowl of the food processor fitted with the blade attachment or blender.

3. Blend hummus until smooth, at least 5 minutes. Process the hummus continuously until it becomes very smooth, 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to integrate any large chunks.

4. Taste and adjust seasonings. Taste and add more of any of the ingredients to taste. If your hummus is stiffer than you'd like, blend 2 to 3 tablespoons of the reserved chickpea liquid to thin it out and make the hummus creamier.

5. Transfer to a bowl and serve. Scrape the hummus into a bowl and serve with pita chips or raw vegetables.

Hummus Variations:

• Add 1 to 3 teaspoons of spices for more flavor, like cumin, sumac, harissa, or smoked paprika.
• Drizzle a little pomegranate molasses or sprinkle a pinch of sumac on top.
• For a roasted vegetable hummus, blend in 1 cup of roasted vegetables such as eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, or garlic.
• For an olive hummus, fold in 3/4 cup of chopped green or black olives.
• For a nutty hummus, blend in some lightly toasted walnuts, almonds, or pine nuts.
• For a more lemony hummus, add 1/4 cup of chopped preserved lemons.

Storage: Hummus will also keep for up to 1 week in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

Honored Contributor

Costco's is good and I love the Sabra brand.

Honored Contributor

I like the Ottolengho Jerusalem cookbook recipe the best, if you google it you can find it, on the NY Times website. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval