Honored Contributor

Re: I need help - cooking & re-heating turkey

@homedecor1.  It's very tricky to reheat sliced turkey without drying it too much.  If I were doing the reheating job, I'd put the rack in my Ninja 4 in 1, put water in the bottom, the meat on the rack and steam it until warm.  You could do the same with a rack in a roaster type of pan and put foil tightly around the edge.  That's basically how restaurants keep prepared foods warm on a steam table.

Do you want dressing with your turkey?  Let me know if you do as I have a fantastic recipe you can do in your slow cooker.  It's so moist, you don't need gravy.  Very easy to prepare.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I would slice it put it in a pan with some chicken broth fridge over night the broth will soak into the slices reheat in oven with the rest of the sides. The day after Thanksgiving I do that and to me it tastes better that broth soaks in. We all have leftover turkey so no problem doing it ahead. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1: I have the honey baked ham company precooked 12 pound roasted turkey that I purchase every year. I use the steam table pans with lids.  I use two pans - for white and dark meat. The pans are easy to stack in the refrigerator. Mine is defrosted and will heat it up today. It will be carved and placed back in the pans covered with turkey broth , refrigerated and reheated on 300 and serve-

delicious. Meat is always moist.Guest are always shocked when I tell them how I do it. All my sides are prepared and will reheat and serve.

With multiple health issues can not stand for hours day before and day of holiday preparing meal. Merry Christmas, Southern Bee.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

I would slice it put it in a pan with some chicken broth fridge over night the broth will soak into the slices reheat in oven with the rest of the sides. The day after Thanksgiving I do that and to me it tastes better that broth soaks in. We all have leftover turkey so no problem doing it ahead. 

That's what I was going to say. **

Honored Contributor

I have never done this,  I do all my side stuff before and do the turkey the day of

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone as always for taking the time out these busy days to "help and advise me"!  Well, I "chickened out" ... spouse must be excited I stayed here this year with him (or looking forward to good meal😉 cuz I hardly cook like this anymore) he offered to do whatever I needed done tomorrow!  

I have to say I've never owned a crock pot, ninja or any of these newer modern appliances -- I'm thinking I might want to get a crock pot😀

Enjoy your Christmas day & all that yummy food you'll be serving!

Thank you again🙂

Esteemed Contributor

how about using a crock pot to reheat...

Honored Contributor

Update😀😀😀

@sissel

and others!!!!

I cooked the turkey today was done at 1:30 all sides were ready, etc.  Small problem: I had planned to eat for 3 but our company had a family emergency so they weren't going to be here til after 4.

I thought might as well try slicing it and using the method of a little broth...holy moly it was the tastiest and most tender turkey I've had in long time.

Roasting pan was cleaned, put away.  Side dishes were in oven re-heating ....company came -- we sat down to eat about 5:15 & nobody but ME knew all the food was re-heated.  Dinner was delicious & from now on I'm going to cook it ahead.

I just wanted to say "thank you" for teaching this old "dog" something new ....

Hope you all had a great day.  

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1so glad you liked it, I don't blame you for wanting to cook the turkey the day before because it's stressful cooking & getting company.