Respected Contributor

Re: I need help baking with my oven.

@Allegheny

Whew!  I'm relieved to learn it's not so serious.  Good luck getting it fixed.  I go nuts when any appliance breaks down on me.  It always happens at the worst times, of course.

Super Contributor

Just recently, I started changing things when baking a DH cake mix.  But this is for the purpose of getting a level cake.  I use DH butter cake mix and I bake at 325 degrees instead of 350 and bake for the maximum amount of time given. On't know if this will help you.  And oh conventional oven.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@PinkyPetunia

Hi PinkyPetunia

I preheated the oven to 350 degrees.  Used the middle rack and recipe called for a 15"x10"x1" pan.

I just think my oven, like me, hates to bake.   No really, I think its just its quirk to get hotter at the top of the oven.  I will have to experiment more.

@Allegheny

When I saw the size of the pan, a light bulb went on.  This is a very shallow pan, what is called a jelly roll pan, and as such, many of them are made out of aluminum, which runs hot. 

Don't know how long you're baking this cake, but in this size pan I would definitely cut the baking time by at least 1/4.  This is why the cake is dark on top.  Make sure you start testing the cake 20 minutes before, finish time, then 15 minute and so on.  You're going to have to pretty much watch this cake and get it out as soon as it's done, before the browning occurs.  Your cake should be a golden color, plus.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny

When I saw the size of the pan, a light bulb went on.  This is a very shallow pan, what is called a jelly roll pan, and as such, many of them are made out of aluminum, which runs hot. 

Don't know how long you're baking this cake, but in this size pan I would definitely cut the baking time by at least 1/4.  This is why the cake is dark on top.  Make sure you start testing the cake 20 minutes before, finish time, then 15 minute and so on.  You're going to have to pretty much watch this cake and get it out as soon as it's done, before the browning occurs.  Your cake should be a golden color, plus.

@sfnative  

Hi sfnative.  Yes, it is a aluminum jelly roll pan.  The Texas sheet cake recipe I was using called for 25 minutes, but knowing my oven I usually remove about 3 minutes early. It turned out OK.

The other cake/cookie I was making was Cherry Squares, and while they a little over browned on top, I would have liked a browner bottom.  The baking time for them was 35 minutes, but I always start checking at 25 minutes,