Respected Contributor

I need help baking with my oven.

[ Edited ]

I have a oven that is both convection and traditional.  To me it seems to bake hot, but I tested it and it is registering correctly.

The problem I am experiencing while during Holiday baking using traditional heat  the top of the cakes are getting brown too rapidly,  well before the cake(s) are done.  How can I compensate for this?  Place on a lower rack?  Lay foil over top?

Thank you to anyone with suggestions.  I am get frustrated.

Honored Contributor

Re: I need help baking with my oven.

This website may help you w/convection oven temps.....

Convection Oven Calculator

Improved my baking/cooking.  No longer a food arsonist. Smiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac  Thanks, you come to my rescue again.

Honored Contributor

You can use lighter color pans, that reduces browning. You can move the cake pans to a lower rack, you can put foil over the top once they are browned or you can lower the temperature 25 degrees. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

A few things come to mind:  1.  What temperature are you using and do you let the oven preheat long enough before you put your cake in?   2.  Is your oven rack in the center of the oven?  3.  Size of cake pan--is there any chance you are using too small cake pans?

You may need to adjust any or all of these variables. HTH

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny

You are very welcome.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom

Thank you Jaxs Mom.  This oven is giving me fits the last week (and its not that old).

Last week while making Texas sheet cake I noticed the batter was sloping in the pan.  We investigated, not the pan, not the rack, but the shelving that holds the racks up.  So on my second batch today I propped up the pan with some folded parchment paper.

Then it has a tempermental heating element that likes to become unlatched on occasion.  Well of course no sooner then I put the cake in the oven I looked in and that heating element fell into the pan.  

I just think I should forget Texas sheet cake, the oven doesn't like it.

Respected Contributor

@PinkyPetunia

Hi PinkyPetunia

I preheated the oven to 350 degrees.  Used the middle rack and recipe called for a 15"x10"x1" pan.

I just think my oven, like me, hates to bake.   No really, I think its just its quirk to get hotter at the top of the oven.  I will have to experiment more.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm having a hard time taking seriously the following words that you wrote......

<<Then it has a tempermental heating element that likes to become unlatched on occasion.  Well of course no sooner then I put the cake in the oven I looked in and that heating element fell into the pan.>>

And you are still trying to use that oven instead of getting a new one?  Sounds like you might have a crisis just waiting to happen.

Many many moons ago when I was renting an apartment, my oven heating element caught on fire after literally exploding--serious flames were blazing inside that oven!.  It did not, however, ever come unlatched and fall into the food.   The apartment management arranged for replacement of the heating element.  All was well after that. but not until after a serious scare and a dangerous situation. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1

Gosh I understand why you questioned what I was referring to.  Its not the heating element that becomes unlatched, it is the grill rod. 

My oven is equipped with a fold down grill rod to enable cleaning

of the roof of the oven. It is the latch support that acts up and occasionally lets the grill rod topple down.  

I need to take the door off and get a good light inside the oven and see if I can tighten the latch.  Yesterday we placed another rack under the grill rod so if it decided to let go again it wouldn't land in the sheet cake.

Even though I had this oven for about 5 years, I am still consider myself a novice with electric ovens.  I have had gas ovens all my life.  I also had a heating element go out.  Mine just quit working so my brother came over and changed it out.