Respected Contributor

I made a flourless chocolate cake and I have a question

So one of my children is unable to eat gluten, so I made us all a flourless

chocolate cake for Valentine's Day. It was insanely good, and although it tasted like chocolate cake, the texture was more of a brownie. Have you ever had a flourless chocolate cake? Is it supposed to be like a brownie?

Respected Contributor

Re: I made a flourless chocolate cake and I have a question

I LOVE flourless chocolate cake!  From the ones i've had, they have a thick, smooth, creamy texture.  YUM!

Honored Contributor

Yes, flourless cakes are more dense and more moist than a cake made with flour. I would describe them as fudgey.

These cakes were invented around the civil war time when flour was impossible to come by and they are still popular today.  They are served in fine restaurants.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 

Yes, a flourless chocolate cake is very dense and a moist brownie like texture.

Here's a pic from a recipe on King Arthur's Flour site, which shows how dense it should be, except this pic has ganache added on top.

I bet yours were delicious and much appreciated by your family!

Flourless Chocolate Cake

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have had flourless chocolate cake.  My friends makes them, the consistency reminds me of an under cooked brownie.  Good.  But not what I want when I want cake.

Valued Contributor

Yes! When I used to work at a country club, thaey had this as a dessert option and it quickly became my favorite.
The ones that I've had or made are more of a fudge consistency...and a little goes a long way

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

chocolate cake for Valentine's Day. It was insanely good, and although it tasted like chocolate cake, the texture was more of a brownie. Have you ever had a flourless chocolate cake? Is it supposed to be like a brownie?

I make one from one on Julia Child's recipes. It does not have a brownie texture because  it requires the preparation of real chocolate mousse with egg whites folded into the rest of the cake batter. This keeps the texture lighter. I use homemade almond flour, made in my food processor. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

I make one from one on Julia Child's recipes. It does not have a brownie texture because  it requires the preparation of real chocolate mousse with egg whites folded into the rest of the cake batter. This keeps the texture lighter. I use homemade almond flour, made in my food processor. 

That sounds so delicious! I'm going to try that one next. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Yes, I have had flourless chocolate cake.  My friends makes them, the consistency reminds me of an under cooked brownie.  Good.  But not what I want when I want cake.

When you have a child with Celiac disease they appreciate it because it's actually a dessert they can eat.

Trusted Contributor

Yum...love flourless chocolate cake, and yes, it is fudgy and rich!  We always served it with vanilla icecream on the side.  Now I need some!