Valued Contributor

I made Alberti's cabbage soup

today and it is really good. I am vegetarian and diabetic and it is a good recipe for me. I found some unsalted veggie stock at a local grocery store so that even made it better for me. It really makes a lot. I will store it in my LNL containers and freeze it in small batches. It may not be for everyone but is perfect for me. Thanks, Alberti.

Respected Contributor

Re: I made Alberti's cabbage soup

That sounds like it would be perfect for my dad. Could you please tell me where I can find the recipe? Thanks.

Respected Contributor

I agree, where is the recipe?

Valued Contributor

I found it on his blog. I accidentally hit it one day and Alberti's blog came up in the kitchen and food forum. I just finished filling my LNL small containers with the soup. I do believe I put a little too many red pepper flakes in it but I like things spicy so that is okay. Also with less sodium I thought I needed to spice it up. Oh I did! Oh you need to scroll down through some other hosts till you hit his. A pic of him and his mom is there.

Contributor

Here you go, folks!

Mom’s Cabbage Soup

Posted by Alberti QVC Host 09/25/2014 at 4:01 PM

On rainy days like today, I often want some comfort food - something to warm my belly and my soul! Well, this morning I woke up and ran out to get the simple ingredients for this very easy cabbage soup recipe my mother would make for me on days just like this! (Her version has a ham hock, but you can also use kielbasa, or go “no-meat” the way I did).

Ingredients:

1 large onion

1 head of celery

2 cloves of garlic

A handful of fresh tomatoes

1 medium sized head of cabbage

2 tbsp Olive Oil

1 can of diced tomatoes

64 oz vegetable stock

Salt, pepper, crushed red pepper

In a large stock pot, combine chopped onion, celery, minced garlic and sauté with 2 tbsp of olive oil over a medium heat. Stir and sauté until translucent (not browned). Add salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to your desired preference. Then stir in the fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, and vegetable stock; bringing the entire mixture to a boil. Once boiling, stir in the chopped cabbage and keep it simmering for 35-40 minutes.

I love to serve this soup with either garlic bread or crostini, but either way, it makes for a hearty and healthy meal! Enjoy!

-Alberti

Respected Contributor

Thank you Jingles5. It looks delicious. When I go back home to visit my dad later this month, I am definitely going to take a container or two. I think he is really going to like it and it is good for him too.

Respected Contributor

That recipe looks really good. I think I'll save it. Low calorie too! It looks like there is a little corn in the soup in the picture.

Honored Contributor

Now that the days are cooler, I'm always looking for soup recipes. As he mentioned, some cut up kielbasa would make this a hearty soup.

Honored Contributor

I pretty much live on cabbage soup. It keeps my weight in check. I use the exact same ingredients in my soup. But when I make mine I use mostly water and always make a huge heaping potful. I never use any sodium in anything I make. So I just use other spices to season it up. Enjoy! This is a great recipe!

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

I like hearty soups. When I want cabbage I just sauté it in garlic & olive oil with s/p.