Respected Contributor

Re: I'm still using my 52+ year old pots and pans

@wismiss And they were made in the USA.  They were heavy and I bought them on an installment plan, along with a full set of porcelain white china with a platinum band on the rims (different salesman and company I think, but also on monthly installments).   Think the set was from overseas--Japan, maybe. 

Ex has some of those, too, I believe, but am not certain.  So hard to find pretty, and full sets now with real cups and saucers and all the matching pieces.  I love cooking and fine dining and all my kitchen things!

Probably my top buying is in this category . . .  hadn't thought of this cookware in ages.  Nice to know they still make them.  I had the deluxe set with the extra pieces.  Took me a year, I think to pay for them.  Then I discovered Amway carried them, too.

Glad you posted--brought back happy memories of a young bride.  The stories those pans could tell!

Contributor

I'm still using my Farberware pots and pans that I got when I was married 46 years ago. It's a great set and still going strong.

Contributor

Reading your posts brought back such wonderful memories for me.  My mom used to be the manager of a gift store that carried all kinds of housewares and decorative items.  She was a firm believer in stainless steel and that is all she would use.  She could buy nice cookware at a discount and while she never had a complete set of any one brand, she did have quite a few nice pieces of Farberware and Revereware.  My sisters and I have since divided up the cookware and even after buying all the latest and greatest, I always go back to the stainless steel.  It is still as good as it was in the mid-60s when my mom bought them.  Though I do have to say that in addition to the stainless I have become a big fan of the copper cookware and have purchased a few pieces of that.  Anyone else a fan of the copper cookware?

Honored Contributor

I have a set of Revere Ware SS pans that I have been using for 45 years.  I also purchased additional pieces, Some with copper bottoms.  When my father passed, I inherited my mother's Revere Ware that is very old...so I have quite a few pieces.  Some pieces are huge...large enough to bath children in.  

I too, have over the years tried other cookware, including T-Fal, Circulon, Analon, Cooks Essentials, Kitchen Aid, Macy's brand called Belgique, Calphalon and a few other brands.

Every brand I tried has worn out and looks awful after a few years of use.  My Revere Ware SS still looks brand new and it can safely be put into the dishwasher.

If anyone wants quality, durability and performance, stainless steel is the way to go.

Honored Contributor

@cactuschic wrote:

Reading your posts brought back such wonderful memories for me.  My mom used to be the manager of a gift store that carried all kinds of housewares and decorative items.  She was a firm believer in stainless steel and that is all she would use.  She could buy nice cookware at a discount and while she never had a complete set of any one brand, she did have quite a few nice pieces of Farberware and Revereware.  My sisters and I have since divided up the cookware and even after buying all the latest and greatest, I always go back to the stainless steel.  It is still as good as it was in the mid-60s when my mom bought them.  Though I do have to say that in addition to the stainless I have become a big fan of the copper cookware and have purchased a few pieces of that.  Anyone else a fan of the copper cookware?

Real copper?  I have a few pieces of 100% solid  copper that I use for making sugar confections...fudge, caramel and chocolates.

If you mean that Copper Chef stuff, I am not a fan.  I have not had much luck with it.

Contributor

While I don't make candy, my mom did and she too favored 100% copper (or even stainless) for the most even heat distribution.  

I purchase two Copper Chef items and one is the copper by Gotham Steel.  I couldn't tell you what ratio copper to whatever metal is underneath the pans are, but I have had no issues with them.  And I cook eggs every single morning for my diet, and talk about non-stick.  I almost had to catch an egg from flying out of the pan when I tilted it.  I will say this, it is probably one of the few times that I actually read the directions and when they said not to use non-stick sprays, but use butter or regular olive oil and never go higher than medium heat and I swear nothing sticks and they still look brand new and I have been using them for about 6 months.  But that is just my experience.  I'm sure at some point down the line I may be singing a different tune.  ha ha

Honored Contributor

only thing in house I got that old is hubbo and I need a replacment. ROFL

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I'm still using a Revereware stainless set that I bought 34 years ago.  I've been happy with it.

@ValuSkr I'm still using my copper bottom, stainless Revere Ware too!

(I just saw a 2 qt RW saucepan with lid on Amazon for $189.00!!!!!)

Honored Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

When I was a young person (much younger) I bought a set of Lifetime Stainless Steel pots and pans that were manufactured in West Bend, Wisconsin.  I used them for a while after getting married, but packed them away when "new and improved" pots and pans were put on the market.  After being disgruntled with those "new and improved", I would use my Lifetime until somethin else came out.  Well, guess what?  I am using my Lifetime exclusively.  I got tired of purchasing other brands and throwing them away after a while.

Anybody else still using their Lifetime Stainless Steel pots and pans?  Probably a regional product, but.......

@wismiss 

Still using mine, too!  They're as good as new!  My mother bought a set and I rmember they were guite an investment at the time.  She had rag-tag pots and pans and this was a huge improvement.  I remember the gentlemen quite well -- he came and gave a cooking demonstration in them and that is what really sold them to my mother.  Later on when I got my first job, my mother said, you should think about getting a set of these for your hope chest.  Yes, we had hope chests back then!  So, I did get them on a payment plan!  I imagine they will still be in great shape long after I am gone!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I'm still using a Revereware stainless set that I bought 34 years ago.  I've been happy with it.

@ValuSkr I'm still using my copper bottom, stainless Revere Ware too!

(I just saw a 2 qt RW saucepan with lid on Amazon for $189.00!!!!!)

Another one who stills has and uses my old set of copper bottom, stainless Revere Ware. Woman Happy