Regular Contributor

Re: I'm looking for a healthy way to cook boneless pork chops.

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

You can brown them in a frying pan. Then add some water and put the lid on the pan. You kind of steam them. They turn out tender and delicious. Actually, I usually add sauerkraut in the pan too...and quarter an onion and throw it in the pan. This takes some of the tang out of the sauerkraut.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Super Contributor

This is the only way we cook pork chops (otherwise I find them very tough). Put them in your crock pot. Sprinkle with garlic powder and onion powder. Pour 1 can (for every 6 pork chops) of Healthy Choice Chicken and Rice soup over top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. They will break with a fork - so yummy!

Super Contributor

On 1/19/2014 iluvacop said: I buy the thick cut pork chops from Costco and often cook them in my crockpot. I lightly brown them first in a skillet with a little olive oil before putting them in the crockpot. I then season them with a little salt and pepper and pour a can of Campbell's Healthy Request Chicken with Rice soup over them and cook on high for about 4 hours or so. The pork stays super tender and pulls apart with a fork. My husband loves it when I make them this way and it's super easy and healthy.

Just saw this after I posted. This is how we do it too - so yummy! I was not a big pork chop lover before discovering this method, but this makes them nice and tender.

Honored Contributor

I like to make them this way. They always turn out juicy, tender, never dry & very tasty. If you don't have a non-stick fry pan omit the oil so they will stick to the pan & you can deglaze it. Maybe just rub the bottom of the pan with olive oil if you use a nonstick pan. 1st time I made these I thought there is no way they would be cooked enough but they are.

Pan Fried Pork Chops
4 pork chops, 1/2” to 1” thick
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp pepper
1-2 tbls oil (I use olive oil)
Sprinkle chops with salt, thyme & pepper.
Place oil in cast iron or stainless steel skillet. Need skillet with lid. (Don’t use non-stick pan)
Place chops in pan not touching each other.
Cook each side slowly about 4 mins per side until brown on each side.
Cover pan with tight fitting lid.
Turn off burner & let chops sit for about 8-10 mins.
Remove chops, deglaze pan with a little water, broth or wine & a tbls of butter. Serve as sauce.
I don’t measure the salt, thyme or pepper. I just sprinkle it on the pork chops.
Yum!!! Enjoy!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}
Super Contributor

Easiest thing ever and delicious. Brown pork chops in a skillet with very little oil.

Add a can of black eyed peas

Add about a cup of water for juice to cook down

Either diced onions or onion flakes.

Salt and pepper to taste. (remember canned peas have salt)

Cook on stove top til tender. I cook on medium heat for about 45 min. You can add a second can if you like a lot of black eyed peas.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/19/2014 Brinklii said:

You can brown them in a frying pan. Then add some water and put the lid on the pan. You kind of steam them. They turn out tender and delicious. Actually, I usually add sauerkraut in the pan too...and quarter an onion and throw it in the pan. This takes some of the tang out of the sauerkraut.

Bfrinklii, that is so funny! I was going to suggest sauerkraut, too, but I didn't know if people in warm weather climates eat it! In addition to onion, I add mustard and caraway seeds and cook for a very long time (usually in a crockpot)--the longer you cook it the sweeter it becomes!

Actually, sauerkraut is a nice replacement for "white" foods like potatoes, rice, etc., and it has less than 30 calories in a whole cup!

Regular Contributor

Here's what I have done:

salt, pepper and garlic powder both sides

brown in skillet with Pam

place in shallow pan

put one whole slice of onion on each chop

sprinkle with parsley

cover with skim milk

bake in 350 oven until milk disappears

enjoy!

Respected Contributor

Season pork chops with a little salt and pepper

Heat up your large skillet nice and hot..add a little olive oil and brown the chops till golden brown..remove to a plate and drain off any remaining oil.

Add about a half stick of butter and scrape the bottom of the pan

Add 1-2 onions sliced thin (more or less to your liking) and saute until they soften and start to turn a little brown.

Peel and slice about 5 apples like you would for an apple pie and add to the onion mixture. Add about 1/2 to 1 cup of apple cider and simmer for about 10 mins til the apples start to soften.

Place the browned pork chops (and any juices that may have run from the chops) onto your apple and onion mixture.

Cover skillet and simmer for about an hour or until chops are tender. You can put some of the mixture on top of the chops while they are simmering.

I'm not sure if this is too healthy but it was delicious!!! I guess you can eliminate the butter to make it more health conscious.

Enjoy!

PS......I used ""bone in"" pork chops but I'm sure you can use boneless for this.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

On 1/19/2014 magicmoodz said:
On 1/19/2014 Brinklii said:

Bfrinklii, that is so funny! I was going to suggest sauerkraut, too, but I didn't know if people in warm weather climates eat it! In addition to onion, I add mustard and caraway seeds and cook for a very long time (usually in a crockpot)--the longer you cook it the sweeter it becomes!

Actually, sauerkraut is a nice replacement for "white" foods like potatoes, rice, etc., and it has less than 30 calories in a whole cup!

Magicmoodz, glad you like sauerkraut too! I sometimes buy it with the caraway seeds in it. We cook it on slow, so it gets really tender. I'm not sure if people in the South eat sauerkraut. I have some German in my family, so we ate sauerkraut with pork, hotdogs, bratwurst, and on and on!

I'm following the Weight Watchers diet right now trying to drop my holiday pounds, so no "white" foods for me!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli