Honored Contributor

Re: I'm humbled. I guess my L&L "problem" was worse than I thought.

I also have way too many sets of L n L and also Temptations.  I use L n L for storing vegetables, sugar, flour, etc. etc.  Very useful.  Plan to donate some Temptations soon as some are way too large for my current needs.   I still have a lot of sets that I use all the time.  

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I don't know how anybody could have too much - you just build more rooms onto your house!  Smiley Happy

But, seriously, nice find and good handling of the situation.  Smiley Happy

I've gotten away from ordering more 'sets'.   But sometimes there is a size of which I want more so I will find them and just buy them individually.  A number of the sizes I have in use 100% of the time are favorite sizes and I've needed to get more of just that one size.   Some of them I have several, but I do use them so I guess it makes sense.  (It does to me, anyway)

Maybe we're in the same boat!  Smiley Wink

Another lock and lock addict here, and I have very many in use every day. I especially like the cereal keepers and very large pieces for bulk storage.

I, too find, that some of the smaller pieces I love a particular size or shape,and you have to buy sets to get them. So I too have stopped buying sets (unless there is something way different and new) and look for single pieces or big pieces. Not that I don't end up using all those in the sets, I just seem to end up with way more of some smaller sizes that I don't get much use out of.

I also don't buy the sets anymore if they don't completely nest inside each other with their lids ON. I want to be able to store 8 pieces and lids all in the same large container.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'll never understand why people get so excited about storage containers.   I have one small set that will last me a lifetime and even it consumes too much storage space.   I'll probably throw several of the less used pieces away.   I'd rather use zip lock bags which don't have to take cupboard or much refrigerator space. 

Zip lock bags never keep things fresh or in tact like a lock and lock will.

I do understand people not having the storage space for sets (that is why those that nest together with their lids on are the best), and even people who prefer other brands or types of storage (like Pyrex glass with the plastic lids), but I don't see how in this day and age, anyone lives without storage containers for bulk things like cereal, oats, pasta, rice, brown sugar, powdered sugar......unless they simply don't keep food in the house or eat strictly premade foods and frozen foods.

Honored Contributor

Just read in the Wellness section that glass bowls are better for you so I'm curious if LL is only plastic or if they offer glass products too.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Just read in the Wellness section that glass bowls are better for you so I'm curious if LL is only plastic or if they offer glass products too.

@AuntG, there are no health issues related to polyproplene plastic, which is what L&L is made of.  But yes, L&L does make some glass storage containers. I personally prefer plastic because it is generally more practical.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'll never understand why people get so excited about storage containers.   I have one small set that will last me a lifetime and even it consumes too much storage space.   I'll probably throw several of the less used pieces away.   I'd rather use zip lock bags which don't have to take cupboard or much refrigerator space. 

Zip lock bags are messy.  You can't stack and organize them.  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Zip lock bags never keep things fresh or in tact like a lock and lock will.

I do understand people not having the storage space for sets (that is why those that nest together with their lids on are the best), and even people who prefer other brands or types of storage (like Pyrex glass with the plastic lids), but I don't see how in this day and age, anyone lives without storage containers for bulk things like cereal, oats, pasta, rice, brown sugar, powdered sugar......unless they simply don't keep food in the house or eat strictly premade foods and frozen foods.

@Mominohio- I don't actually own any Lock & Lock. I have some Tupperware and Martha Stewart Sistema pieces and some OXO pieces, but not too many of each and most of them are empty. 

We don't have the bulk items that you mentioned in your post like rice, brown sugar, cereal, oats, pasta, etc. We just don't have stuff like that, but we have plenty of food in our house. 

I like the look of Lock & Lock, but I've stayed away from it because it looks like it would take up so much room to store it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

Ha ha, @house_cat, that made me laugh! Yes, I'm also one of the ones for whom clever boxes and gadgets are almost irresistible. I have the most amazing bento set...well, no need to labor the point. I donated some L&L this week, with regret and relief, both. I do enjoy and use what I have, though--they break or stain eventually, but are generally excellent in form and quality. I must remember NOT to look at QVC.com the day of the TSV...

Trusted Contributor

@AuntG, they do occasionally have glass. I have a very nice set of three borosilicate glass dishes/bowls, and I use them constantly for cooking, reheating, storing, even prep. Same type of lid, just on a glass vessel. You have to watch for these items as they are irregularly available. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Yes, I have three of them--I think my neighbors may have one of them.