Super Contributor

Re: I'm guessing you can't freeze buttermilk?

So helpful! You guys ROCK!

I learn so much here on this cooking forum.

Trusted Contributor

Do your baked goods come out exactly the same with the powdered buttermilk?

New Contributor

I have frozen buttermilk with great success. A lot of dairy products freeze well (such as butter). I also buy the powdered buttermilk to use in coating chicken. Mix it in with flour and seasonings. I get it from King Arthur in Vermont.

Super Contributor

On 2/23/2014 hockeygal said:

I have frozen buttermilk with great success. A lot of dairy products freeze well (such as butter). I also buy the powdered buttermilk to use in coating chicken. Mix it in with flour and seasonings. I get it from King Arthur in Vermont.

Please give more details about coating the chicken with it.

Super Contributor

I don't drink buttermilk, so when I found SACO cultured powder almost 30 years ago, I got right on the 'bandwagon'. Great for any recipe calling for buttermilk. You don't normally 'reconstitute'. Just wisk the powder with your dry ingredients and add water as your liquid.

SACO was never meant to be used in a 'liquid' state, but you CAN do it. Make up enough liquid buttermilk from the powder to cover your chicken parts. Season the buttermilk brine with salt, pepper, and hot sauce or sriracha. I buzz in a small personal blender before using as a brine. You will use less of the liquified buttermilk if you brine the chicken parts in a Zip Lock bag. Refrigerate overnight. When ready to fry, dip lightly drained chicken parts in mixture of flour, corn meal, powdered buttermilk & seasonings.

You can also add the buttermilk powder to lightly browned and seasoned panko before 'breading' baked chicken parts.

Unopened can of SACO will keep one day short of forever. Once opened, MUST be refrigerated. I keep most of it in Tupperware in the freezer (I have more freezer space than fridge space). The rest I keep in smaller round Tupperware containers in top door shelf of the fridge, along with Nido and things like ground flax seed. Small 2 oz TW containers have 5 different kinds of yeast and also live in the fridge door.

Just an FYI, you can also buy INSTANT FULL FAT dry milk. VERY handy to keep around. Many recipes come out better using whole milk. Usually found with the Hispanic foods. Nido, made by Nestle. Love the Nido for breadmaking. Far less costly than buying the non-instant full fat at KAF or health food store.

If you drink 1% milk and happen to keep half and half in the fridge, you can also make up a cup of 'whole' milk. 5/8 cup 1% milk and 3/8 cup half and half.

Nido +1: w/Vitamin, Minerals &...