Super Contributor

I'm guessing you can't freeze buttermilk?

For some reason, I can only buy it in quart size containers, which means I throw away at least half of it every time.

Is it possible to freeze it in portion sizes and thaw it for baking?

Respected Contributor

Re: I'm guessing you can't freeze buttermilk?

Yes you can. I've done it and had no problems.
Super Contributor

On 2/23/2014 deeva said: Yes you can. I've done it and had no problems.

Really?! This is great to know. I hate throwing it away, but i so rarely use it. I thought of freezing it in ice cube trays. How do you portion it out for freezing?

Honored Contributor

I freeze milk all the time but I also buy the powdered buttermilk which last a long time in the fridge.

Super Contributor

On 2/23/2014 momtodogs said:

I freeze milk all the time but I also buy the powdered buttermilk which last a long time in the fridge.

I've never heard of this? Where do you find it in the store?

Respected Contributor

I measure eight ounces and pour it into a small lock & lock container. Powdered buttermilk is in the baking aisle. It comes in a round canister with a red lid.
Super Contributor

On 2/23/2014 deeva said: I measure eight ounces and pour it into a small lock & lock container. Powdered buttermilk is in the baking aisle. It comes in a round canister with a red lid.

Thank you. I had no idea there was such a thing. I will add it to my list today, along with curry paste that I just discovered.

Respected Contributor

I use the powdered buttermilk found in the powdered milk section/baking section. It keeps in the fridge and is cheaper than wasting fresh buttermilk. Since you aren't drinking it but cooking with it, the freshness isn't as much as a factor.

Respected Contributor

I use powdered also. You can use regular milk and add a Tb. of lemon juice or vinegar to 'sour' it also.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I freeze buttermilk all the time, put in plastic containers, thaw and shake it up and use in pancakes, waffles, biscuits all the time. Think it's great this board has information for the young as well as us 'oldies'.