Super Contributor

Re: I'm guessing you can't freeze buttermilk?

The powdered buttermilk is great to have on hand.

Esteemed Contributor

Some time in the 80s in my area, they stopped selling pint cartons of buttermilk. Hope you have luck freezing it. I've never tried, as one active component of buttermilk is bacteria, which would be killed in the freezer.

Super Contributor

I freeze milk all the time...don't see why you could not freeze buttermilk.

Super Contributor

On 2/23/2014 debc said:

I use powdered also. You can use regular milk and add a Tb. of lemon juice or vinegar to 'sour' it also.

I only discovered powdered buttermilk in the last year, or so, & since then do like to have it on hand. Before that, I always made my own too. Easy! And there's no waste.

As Deb said, put 1 Tablespoon of either lemon juice or white vinegar into a measuring cup, & add milk to equal 1 cup. Let sit 5-10 minutes until it curdles.. No waste!

Respected Contributor

I've tried freezing buttermilk, but it doesn't look the same after thawing. It gets thinner, not as much body. I think it would be ok for baking, but it just loses something in texture.

Regular milk freezes well. I just defrost it and shake it well.

Honored Contributor

On 2/23/2014 Sabatini2 said:
On 2/23/2014 debc said:

I use powdered also. You can use regular milk and add a Tb. of lemon juice or vinegar to 'sour' it also.

I only discovered powdered buttermilk in the last year, or so, & since then do like to have it on hand. Before that, I always made my own too. Easy! And there's no waste.

As Deb said, put 1 Tablespoon of either lemon juice or white vinegar into a measuring cup, & add milk to equal 1 cup. Let sit 5-10 minutes until it curdles.. No waste!

I am assuming you would have to use whole milk and it would not work with nonfat (the only kind I regularly buy). I am going to look for the powdered buttermilk.

Super Contributor

On 2/23/2014 DiAnne said:
On 2/23/2014 Sabatini2 said:
On 2/23/2014 debc said:

I am assuming you would have to use whole milk and it would not work with nonfat (the only kind I regularly buy). I am going to look for the powdered buttermilk.

DiAnne, I usually use 2% milk, & it's fine, but you're probably right about it not working right w/ nonfat milk, ...but it might!

The reconstituted dried buttermilk is thin, so I actually prefer to make my own, but half the time I'm out of milk altogether, so the dried is good to have on hand.

You'll find this, or a similar product near the regular powdered milk:

Contributor

I freeze buttermilk in an ice cube tray. Once frozen, I pop out the cubes and put them in a freezer bag and use the cubes as I need them. When defrosted the milk has a tendency to separate...just a quick stir and it's perfect. Hope this helps.
Occasional Contributor

I got this from America's Test Kitchen:

1. Place small paper cups on a tray and fill each with ½ cup of buttermilk.
2. Place the tray in the freezer.
3. Once the buttermilk has frozen, wrap each cup with plastic wrap and store them in a large zipper-lock bag. Defrost the amount that you need in the refrigerator before you bake.

This is the easiest way for me because it is already measured (if I need 1 cup buttermilk I take out 2 of the paper cups to thaw).

I also have the powder buttermilk on hand.

Cockatiels are not throw away pets!
Honored Contributor

On 2/23/2014 house cat said:
On 2/23/2014 momtodogs said:

I freeze milk all the time but I also buy the powdered buttermilk which last a long time in the fridge.

I've never heard of this? Where do you find it in the store?

I think it is in the baking section at the grocery, it comes in a can with a plastic lid. It is powdered and you add the required amount of water according to your recipe. I add the powdered buttermilk when I am adding the other dry ingredients and then slowly pour in the water. It is a lifesaver when I want to bake and don't have buttermilk. I have not purchased liquid buttermilk for years!