Valued Contributor

Re: I'm finally getting a garage fridge!

I have one in the garage also.  Another perk is when I go food shopping and have other errands to run, I take my bags with the "cold items" and put them in the fridge and then run back into the car.  I don't have to go in and up the stairs to my kitchen.  Love it!  And food seems to last longer because the door isn't opened and closed as much.  It's great for barbeques and parties too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

@D Kay wrote:

I have one as well and like the extra space.  I have read, though, that refrigeraters  should not be subjected to the extreme temperature fluctuations and possible humidity, dust, etc. from essentially being "outdoors".

It's a concern. It gets really hot here.  I'm usually much more environmentally motivated, but I'm being selfish about this.  I figure we have one car and a small home so I'm not really a glutton about resources. Still, it is on my mind.

We have an have an RV permanently placed on a lot near a Lake where we go for the summer.  We also have a wooden shed next to the RV for storage. 

I have a chest freezer and a refrigerator in the shed because the RV fridge is super small.     Those two appliances are exposed to super hot temperatures all summer long as there isn't any insulation in the shed.  We shut them off all winter, but they are exposed to temps below freezing.

They have been out there around 5-6 years now, purchased new and we have had no problems.

We also have a refrigerator and upright freezer in our uninsulated garage at our home.  They have been in there for 31 years and we have never had an issue. These appliances were at one time kept by us in an outdoor shed at another residence.  We bought them second hand when we first got married almost 46 years ago...they are avacado green in color. Most of their lives were spent in an outdoor environment.

i don't think you will have any problems either.  

Respected Contributor

We have had a garage frig for geez I will bet 20 years. I don't know how I got along without one before that. Plus our kids were young and living at home. Have no idea how I crammed all of our food into one. You will love it! Enjoy your garage makeover.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat   yes...those boxes of produce from the big box stores take up tons of room.  We live on produce and run though tons of it....juice/smoothies/salads....lots of green stuff.  You will so enjoy having the space!

Trusted Contributor

I'm so happy for you. I've had a freezer and refrigerator in the garage for years. It's wonderful. 

Respected Contributor

You can't imagine how much you are going to love having that

garage Fridge .....I can't imagine life without one !!!

Trusted Contributor

Make sure to go through both fridges/freezers every month and take stock. Rotate food to use older items as you buy new. If you are prone to clutter be careful same doesn’t happen with good! Label things with dates that you into the freezers.

Enjoy your new fridge!
Honored Contributor

@NJgirl 1205 

Good advice, but no worries about that. I actually keep an inventory list for my freezer!

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

I can relate to your sheer joy and giddiness! I just purchased a small upright freezer for my laundry room and then purchased chrome wire shelving units to stand on each side of it. Thus, I created extra food storage at eye level with easy access. It's making my life easier and I'm so much more organized! I bought some full wall decor for the area and now I smile every time go in there to either do laundry or retrieve/stock food items. My main refrigerator/freezer is a side-by-side, so that freezer compartment is better organized now that it's not spilling over with stuff crammed in there. I can buy meat, etc. in bulk, vacuum seal for storage, and save money. Only have to go to the store for fresh produce and dairy.

Enjoy your new fridge!

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs 

I'm happy for you, too! These are rather simple blessings, but they are not taken for granted.  My dad was a Depression child from a very large immigrant family. There was NEVER enough food and they were always hungry.  He would tell me how joyful it was when the school would send the kids home with a bag of food at holiday time. 

When I was a child and there was a food drive at school, it would not be unusual for my dad to send me and my brother with a donation bag of food every day of the drive.  I was raised to be grateful to have food in my belly and an overflowing fridge.

Yesterday, in anticipation of grocery shopping, I did a thorough cleaning of my current fridge. It looked wonderful, until I came home with a week's worth of groceries and my son came home and added to it.  He and I are the only ones in the house who cook, and we're both equally excited about having more space.

~ house cat ~