Honored Contributor

Re: I'm finally getting a garage fridge!

I don't keep that much stuff.  I never have more fresh foods or meats than we need for the week. However, it becomes necessary when I entertain, and I do that quite often.  This past Thanksgiving I couldn't buy a turkey because there was nowhere to store and thaw it. 

Right now, both of my fridges are quite empty, but that changes in a flash when it's time to start prepping for guests.  It's like my Lock and Lock stash - most of the time it sits empty and looks wasteful, until I need it and then there never seems to be enough of it.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I had a garage make over.  High cabinets were lowered for my short self.  I cleared and cleaned out really old stuff.  I am so pleased I almost wanted to have a GARAGE PARTY.  But I thought better of it since my friends and family would think I was crazy. LOL  But WHAT A FEELING to have done this.

I bought a small freezer to fill a space and I am really really happy  and wish I did it sooner.  I do have two refrigerators.  I kept the old one and put it in my basemen (full size).  Lots of storage space for two people I guess but it has paid off.  Love to have what I need on hand without having to go find it at the worst possible time.  

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu 

Boy, can I relate!  Our close friends have watched us struggle through this process and they said they expect a garage-warming party. I have every intention of doing just that. We'll be celebrating the garage redo, but eating in the house.

It's really not that unusual, though, in my townhome complex, because the homes are small and we have no basements or backyards. On holidays it is a common thing to see my neighbors' garages open and the guests spilling out of the house.  My closest neighbor has ceiling to floor curtains in the garage, similar to shower curtains. They hide all the shelving when she has company and she sets up the kids' table out there. Whatever works!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

@RedTop 

I may be a little over the top when it comes to organizination.

@SharkE 

I'm waiting for a good sale on butter and I will stock up.  I haven't seen any in years around here.  I made the mistake of introducing my husband and son to the Kerry Gold butter that was recommended by my foodie friends.  There's no going back from that and it's never less than $6, but for my baking I skimp and use the cheaper stuff.

Yeah, girl, fine for baking like one day a week, but, look at the cholesterol level of that 'good' stuff !!!!!!!!! artery clogger for sure !

I use real butter for weekend treats, but, any other time it's back to "can't believe it's not butter'

@house_cat 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

During the holidays I have been known to put solid containers of food on my porch in cold weather. Good for bottles of wine too!

Having a second refrigerator is a huge helper.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Down here in Tx wind or jack rabbits would get. If it isn't nailed down it's gone down here