Super Contributor

Re: I'm exhausted watching Rachel Ray...

Whatever happened to ""if you can't say anything nice...?""

Super Contributor

On 1/19/2014 RedTop said:

Rachel Ray shares some very interesting, and tasty, recipes, although she wears me out with her demonstrations. I just think she exhibits such a bold, strong, overpowering presence when she does the shows, and I personally translate that as creating a stressful environment in the kitchen. I prefer to see a calmer, more laid back approach to cooking, such as what I see from Giada, Melissa D'Arabian, or Sandra Lee on their cooking shows. Paula Deen also exhibited the same bold, strong, overpowering presence on all of her shows, which was one of the negatives I had towards watching her cook.

Thank you for a gracious expression of what I was trying to say. I wasn't intending my OP as an attack on Rachel Ray. It was a critique of her show. Why in the world is critiquing a cooking show off limits on a cooking forum? "Stressed" is exactly how I felt after watching this morning's episode… and yes, as some have pointed out, I understand I can turn it off or change the channel.

Respected Contributor

Don't like her at all. She's from our area and was a nobody that went to the top because of Oprah. Now she thinks she's one of the entitled.

Valued Contributor

Housecat, I agree with you!! I have tried watching her but for some reason I can't seem to get past her boisterous personality!

Everyone has a right to ask a question, why do we have to be mean??? There was nothing at all that the OP said that was the least bit negative!! NOT AT ALL!!!!!

Brittany

Super Contributor

I just wish I had half of her energy!

Trusted Contributor

I just wish she would speak without waving her arms around constantly. She literally is in constant motion,it is exhausting to watch,lol.

Her talk show is almost unwatchable now because of this. I think she needs to watch herself on mute and see how excessive her flailing is,then make a concerted effort to calm it down. She is becoming a caricature.

Super Contributor

On 1/19/2014 sparklestar said:

Don't like her at all. She's from our area and was a nobody that went to the top because of Oprah. Now she thinks she's one of the entitled.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

wow what a snarky, and incorrect, remark. ... Rachel was seen on Food Network for years, where she made a name for herself (anyone remember 30 minute meals?), and published cookbooks before Oprah "discovered" her while watching Food Net. I am unsure as to when her magazine began publication, but that may have come before Oprah also. ... RR seems to be a "glass half full" kind of person, and has a lot of natural energy. I don't see what's wrong with that, but clearly, some do see it as a problem. And for them, find something else to do or watch during the time she is on TV so you don't get all stressed out. ;-)
Respected Contributor

On 1/19/2014 just4me said:
On 1/19/2014 sparklestar said:

Don't like her at all. She's from our area and was a nobody that went to the top because of Oprah. Now she thinks she's one of the entitled.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

wow what a snarky, and incorrect, remark. ... Rachel was seen on Food Network for years, where she made a name for herself (anyone remember 30 minute meals?), and published cookbooks before Oprah "discovered" her while watching Food Net. I am unsure as to when her magazine began publication, but that may have come before Oprah also. ... RR seems to be a "glass half full" kind of person, and has a lot of natural energy. I don't see what's wrong with that, but clearly, some do see it as a problem. And for them, find something else to do or watch during the time she is on TV so you don't get all stressed out. ;-)

It's not snarky. I've witnessed her actions in public. She's not very nice. I make my conclusions about people by their behavior.

Respected Contributor

I watched a show about fundamentalist latter day saints (the ones that practice plural marriage). One of the ways the women are controlled is by telling them to "keep sweet.". This means don't have an opinion, don't question and just make nice. One of the things I like about this board is that many opinions are expressed. No one needs to be told to keep sweet.
Honored Contributor

I don't watch her show and don't like watching her on QVC any more. She doesn't come up for air--talks non-stop until she is practically losing her voice. Way too animated and her hair so close to the food is annoying. I think she is kind of fake and I think she is rude to the hosts many times.