Honored Contributor

Re: I'm disgusted with Crisco

[ Edited ]

@VanSleepy wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom  Why don't you try freezing your Crisco as another poster suggested?  Beats throwing it away.  I've heard lard makes mighty good pie crust but can't bring myself to buy it. 

LOL we make a dessert at Christmas that everyone who has tasted raves about.  You should see the looks we get when they find out the crust is made with lard.

@VanSleepy  My Mother used to make plum pudding every Christmas, and used lard..

Esteemed Contributor

@insomniac2

With regard to the appearnce of the product, it sounds as though you purchased a "lemon."  I would not have used it.  It should have been pulled from the production line, along with other like batches.  There was indeed something wrong with one or some of the ingredients.

That said, shortening available to us since the 50s has run the gamut from lard, butter, margarine, to Fluffo (I used that somewhat for a while) to Crisco and now other non-dairy margarine type products (soy, yogurt).

My favorite thing to use for pie crust is lard, as that is what one of my grandmothers used.  Honestly, I'd never put Crisco in a cookie, because I want the shortening to inpart flavor.  My mother always used margarine, as we never had butter due to its expense.  The only thing I use Cristo for is lining pans and sometimes for a small saucepan of heated fat for deep fat frying donut holes with mace in the dough.

I always keep my Crisco in the frig and toss it after 4 months.  If you still happen to have the Crisco container, even if it's in the trash, retrieve it and get the batch number off of it, the bar code, Use By Date, etc., and contact the manufacturer.  Look for a means of contacting them on the container.  If not, look on the internet.  I've successfully done that several times and always received a response.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I'm a butter person, as I said in my original message. However, I have been making my grandmother's version of chocolate chip cookies (that calls for a cup of shortening) since the 60s and never had a problem before.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Crisco is still around?  Last time I saw that product was when I was still a child.

I was wondering the same thing!

I remember my mother using Cricso often but as for me I'm 62 and have never purchased it...ever!  I didn't think they still made it.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

Crisco is still around?  Last time I saw that product was when I was still a child.

I was wondering the same thing!

I remember my mother using Cricso often but as for me I'm 62 and have never purchased it...ever!  I didn't think they still made it.

I see it in the stores, but never have used it.

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

I'm a butter person, as I said in my original message. However, I have been making my grandmother's version of chocolate chip cookies (that calls for a cup of shortening) since the 60s and never had a problem before.

@insomniac2

I make three versions of the classic Toll House Cookie recipe.

One I use butter.  These cookies spread and remain very soft.

One I use margarine.  These cookies (IMO) are the best in texture, shape and taste.

One I use half Crisco and half margarine.  These cookies are lighter and puffier.

Different family members prefer the different cookies.

I'm a better than average baker and almost always have Crisco in the pantry.  I make an almond (extract) butter cream icing, I use frequently on cupcakes.  I add a tablespoon of Crisco to the butter and sugar.  It makes the icing fluffier and not quite as sweet.  Everyone raves about my icing and asks for my recipe.

I've tried the butter flavored sticks and thought they were awful.  I buy a small can.  I also use it in my pie crust. (it is light and fluffy)  I still grease (and flour) my cake pans with Crisco.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My Mom always used Crisco to make pie crusts and potato pancakes. Gosh , the awful stuff we ate back then!

Yes, and my grandmother lived to be 97!

Respected Contributor

I don't use it to cook but do use it to grease my baking pans - works like a charm. 

Respected Contributor

my ctisco was fine, I only use it for pie crusts, half crisco half butter