Respected Contributor

I don't use shortening that much, so a can seems to last forever. But I opened up a fresh can of Crisco this morning and was appalled. First of all, it wasn't as creamy as usual--there were rough patches here and there. Secondly, it took forever to blend with other ingredients (even using a hand mixer). Thirdly, the  batter was a challenge to form simple  drop cookies with--they just wouldn't adhere.

Fortunately, the cookies tasted fine, but the preparation experience was on the dreadful side.

I know it's because they're trying to make shortening more healthy. Forget it!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm disgusted with Crisco

@insomniac2 I only use 1 recipe that calls for Crisco, but I started using the sticks and not the cans as I seldom use it and have not had a problem, I do not know if that would make a difference for you, but it was just a thought that came to me.

Honored Contributor

Crisco deteriorates over time.  Wesson Oil used to hire laborers to scrape old Cisco out of big buckets so it could be recycled for non-food use.  It probably has a "use by" date.  No fat or oil lasts forever. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I seldom use it either, mostly just to season cast iron (way better than using oil!), but even if I buy one of those really small cans it will go old with 90% of it still in the can.

I think it goes old faster than it used to, like a lot of food products.  If the environment is at all warm, it will go down super fast.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I seldom use it either, mostly just to season cast iron (way better than using oil!), but even if I buy one of those really small cans it will go old with 90% of it still in the can.

I think it goes old faster than it used to, like a lot of food products.  If the environment is at all warm, it will go down super fast.

@chickenbutt Do you season your cast iron with each use? Mine loses its seasoning when I use it so I use oil on the stove for awhile but it doesn't work. Should I use Crisco in the oven to season?

Trusted Contributor

Crisco - hydrogenated vegetable oil - is one of the most unhealthy food products on the market. 

You are much better off using real butter for baking. Butter also has the added value of actually tasting good. I've always been disgusted by Crisco.

Honored Contributor

I too wondered why you would choose to use crisco instead of butter to make cookies. They are so much better tasting and even healthier using butter.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I too wondered why you would choose to use crisco instead of butter to make cookies. They are so much better tasting and even healthier using butter.

Cheaper, and butter's not exactly healthy either.  Back when I made cookies, I always used Crisco; I think most people did.  That's before we knew about Trans-fats. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@insomniac2

FYI:  You can freeze Crisco. It keeps it fresh. Just take it out of the freezer long enough before using to let it thaw some. It is hard to take out of the can when it is frozen. You can refreeze it, it doesn't hurt it.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kachina, I usually do use butter. That's why my Crisco lasts so long.

And Carebear, I'll definitely try the sticks!

I use shortening for this recipe because it's my grandmother's version.