Respected Contributor

I'm considering buying a pressure cooker. Any ones to choose or avoid?

Or any advice at all. I have never used one, but our family is getting so big & I love to cook for them all when we get together.

Super Contributor

Re: I'm considering buying a pressure cooker. Any ones to choose or avoid?

My only experience with pressure cookers is with the electric ones. My mom and grandmother never cooked with a stove top pressure cooker. I love the electric variety. Received one several years ago as a gift, and use it at least once a week. The food turns out great. In fact, it takes longer to cut up and prepare the food before putting it in the pressure cooker, than it takes to actually cook it. My first one was a 4 quart, but it wasn't large enough when my whole family gets together, so I purchased a 6 quart when it was a TSV. I believe that QVC will be offering an 8 quart one soon; if memory serves, possibly this Wed. 4/8.

Respected Contributor

On 4/6/2015 WSfan said:

My only experience with pressure cookers is with the electric ones. My mom and grandmother never cooked with a stove top pressure cooker. I love the electric variety. Received one several years ago as a gift, and use it at least once a week. The food turns out great. In fact, it takes longer to cut up and prepare the food before putting it in the pressure cooker, than it takes to actually cook it. My first one was a 4 quart, but it wasn't large enough when my whole family gets together, so I purchased a 6 quart when it was a TSV. I believe that QVC will be offering an 8 quart one soon; if memory serves, possibly this Wed. 4/8.

I will watch for that. I know I don't want one smaller than a 6qt. Maybe they will show me how to use it, too.

Super Contributor

If you are wanting an electric pressure cooker I would recommend the Elite 8 or 10 qt machines WITH the optional stainless steel liner that should be available on HSN. For larger quantities I myself would get the 10 qt and remember with a pressure cooker you can easily do small quantities in a large machine but you cannot do large quantities in a small machine.

Honored Contributor

I had a four quart Cook's Essentials pressure cooker which I used quite a bit (I cook for just myself but even then sometimes it was too small) so I went looking for a bigger option. After cruising around, I decided to try the InstaPot which I purchased from Amazon and I just love it . . . the same recipes that I used to make in the CE come out much better in the InstaPot and it could not be easier to use (they give you plenty of guides/recipe books along with a quick start guide) but you really don't need anything. Press a couple of button and you are off and running.

Also, if you are looking for tips on how/what to do or how to get started, I like www.missvickie.com. She gives all sorts of good tips and troubleshooting ideas along with recipes for both stove top and electric pressure cookers. She has helped me out a lot!

Contributor

I love the InstantPot electric pressure cooker. Mine came from Amazon.com. The deciding factor for this brand was it is the only one I could find with a stainless steel inner pot. It has great features like browning, hold warm, etc. The latest version has the notches to hold the lid so you don't have to put the hot lid on the counter top. There are video demonstrations on you tube. It comes with useful accessories. There are also many recipes on their web site.
Honored Contributor

I have a 8 qt stainless steel stove top model I've had for 20 years. There are pros and cons to both electric and stove top. Electric can be set it and forget it, it will turn itself off but you have all the electronics that can and will eventually break. Someone posted recently about their electric pressure cooker being completely dead and having to be replaced. With stove top models you do have to monitor the cooking time yourself, but that's no different than cooking anything else on the stove or in the oven. There is really nothing to break and the only possible replacement parts are the gasket ( mine has never required a new gasket in 20 years) or the over pressure plug.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I was looking at the Instant Pot. I know that I want an electric cooker, so that I don't have to watch it as closely. It's just to busy around my house, at the times that I think I would be using it. I want to be playing with the grandsons, instead of keeping too close of a watch on my cooking.

Respected Contributor

On 4/6/2015 4uthebest said:

If you are wanting an electric pressure cooker I would recommend the Elite 8 or 10 qt machines WITH the optional stainless steel liner that should be available on HSN. For larger quantities I myself would get the 10 qt and remember with a pressure cooker you can easily do small quantities in a large machine but you cannot do large quantities in a small machine.

I recently purchased this and I'm very pleased with it.
Honored Contributor

Hi Dusty, one thing about the Instant Pot is that it is fast. I couldn't believe how much faster than my CE and the clean up of the stainless steel pot itself is a breeze (and the accessories that sylva mentioned are a very nice addition) . . . you will have plenty of time to play with your grandsons . . . Smile