Super Contributor

Re: I'm bringing a tray of PB&J sandwiches to NYE at the senior center. Your thoughts?

On 1/1/2014 DoubleDown said:
On 1/1/2014 birkin baby said:
On 12/30/2013 DoubleDown said:

Yes, it's ridiculous. Way too much sugar and fat. Why not make some healthy sandwiches, like turkey or chicken salad on some premium wheat bread.

{#emotions_dlg.blink}...closest to an eyeroll....it's not the ONLY food being served and its a party.It holds up well with no refrigeration.EVERYTHING does not have to be healthy.

same to you

Something about you seems familiar. Didn't you use about thirty other names?
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm bringing a tray of PB&J sandwiches to NYE at the senior center. Your thoughts?

On 1/3/2014 jetts_mom said:

My mom got to where she couldn't cook, but we had a home health service come in every day to help cook meals and tend to her. One thing she could make for herself though, was PBJ sandwiches. She loved them! Peanut butter on crackers was a favorite, too.

A good quality peanut butter is a great source of protein, and does contain "good" fats. Many people have a bit of a sweet tooth, and a good quality jelly (not jam - stay away from the seeds) can help satisfy that sweet tooth without going to totally empty calories from cakes and such.

I think it could be hit, and it's a very thoughtful thing for you to do. Those parents are special, and there are those like myself that would give anything to be able to be with our parents again, and share a peanut butter sandwich, some love and memories.

My Mom was the same! She loved PBJ sandwiches and PB on crackers even in her late 70's. She was even known to get a spoonful of PB and eat it that way!

Super Contributor

house cat, I finally read your thread, and it was interesting for a sleepless morning! Those leftover PBJ crusts - I know you asked in jest, but actually, they make a great bird food during cold weather. when it gets really bad I will even spread thick PB on bread and put it in the basket feeder for my songbirds.

JULES5220, you deserve kudos for your kindness. Major kudos. - Bird

Honored Contributor

On 1/3/2014 LoopyLoo said:
On 1/3/2014 mominohio said:
On 12/30/2013 LoopyLoo said:

So sweet and thoughtful of you, d! But I don't know of any seniors in your parents' age group who eat or like peanut butter and jelly. My folks and in laws would have been about ten years older, and I don't think anyone of the four of them ever ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in their lives! Maybe, talk to someone at the senior center, for some input, just to be sure it will be well received!

I think that this is a great idea to bring something so simple. I know tons of seniors who eat PBJ, as it is soft and high in protein. I can't understand all the negative comments. Anytime you have a large group, there will be some who will like and can eat your offering, and some who won't. Folks who have these food allergies don't usually eat at pot lucks, and if they do, they know to be very careful, and the labeling that OP is going to do is more than sufficient. I think there are way to many overly picky people who don't know how to be grateful for what others do.

We all tend to post from our own perspective and experience (a good thing, or it would make for some strange communication.) There are indeed many seniors who eat P&J--I'm one of them. But I don't know of one single solitary person of my parents' generation who ever ate peanut butter. Maybe it's a cultural thing. So sue me. I didn't say one word about food allergies; such a thing never occurred to me. You're certainly entitled to think it's a swell idea--just as I am to question it. That doesn't make it a negative comment. The OP was looking for our thoughts. Incidentally, I am extremely grateful for what others do, and try to 'do myself proud' by doing for others as well.

LoopyLoo, Sorry if it seemed I was attacking you and inserting things that you did not mention in your post. I highlighted your post and was responding only to your comment about the older generations liking or eating PBJ. I know folks that would be 100 or more now that ate such in their later years.

I should have made a separate post with the other comments as they were directed at the general tone of a number of posters on this topic, as well as others over time, where some seem to criticize what others do when they are offering up a favor or a gift. So sorry to seem like I was being nasty to you, as I really didn't intend those comments to reflect on your post. I just sent off an answer too quickly, and all in one post, not making myself clear about what all I was responding to. I never intended to insinuate that you were ever ungrateful for anything, again, I lumped my frustration at other posters in the response that only quoted you. Please forgive my lack of attention.

Super Contributor

No worries mominohio--I've already forgotten what you said! (One of the perks of age--hahaha!)

I appreciate your kind and thoughtful post--many thanx!

Respected Contributor

On 12/31/2013 Rachelle said:
On 12/30/2013 hulagirl said:

It might be interesting to see seniors with dentures trying to eat PB&J......if it was me, I'd probably make another choice.

I agree. Nice thought, just bad choice of food.

I feel the same way. I think an assortment of different meats or chicken and turkey would be better. I hate pb&j but that's me. My mom did love them but couldn't eat them with her dentures. I would rather have sweets - cookies, fudge or brownies.

Honored Contributor

I think it is a fun idea. My MIL's Doctor didn't restrict her diet, saying at her age, let her eat what she wants. When we visited her, there was a pile of Hershey's bars on the coffee table. Smiley Happy She lived to be 99.

Honored Contributor

On 1/3/2014 LoopyLoo said:
On 1/3/2014 mominohio said:
On 12/30/2013 LoopyLoo said:

So sweet and thoughtful of you, d! But I don't know of any seniors in your parents' age group who eat or like peanut butter and jelly. My folks and in laws would have been about ten years older, and I don't think anyone of the four of them ever ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in their lives! Maybe, talk to someone at the senior center, for some input, just to be sure it will be well received!

I think that this is a great idea to bring something so simple. I know tons of seniors who eat PBJ, as it is soft and high in protein. I can't understand all the negative comments. Anytime you have a large group, there will be some who will like and can eat your offering, and some who won't. Folks who have these food allergies don't usually eat at pot lucks, and if they do, they know to be very careful, and the labeling that OP is going to do is more than sufficient. I think there are way to many overly picky people who don't know how to be grateful for what others do.

We all tend to post from our own perspective and experience (a good thing, or it would make for some strange communication.) There are indeed many seniors who eat P&J--I'm one of them. But I don't know of one single solitary person of my parents' generation who ever ate peanut butter. Maybe it's a cultural thing. So sue me. I didn't say one word about food allergies; such a thing never occurred to me. You're certainly entitled to think it's a swell idea--just as I am to question it. That doesn't make it a negative comment. The OP was looking for our thoughts. Incidentally, I am extremely grateful for what others do, and try to 'do myself proud' by doing for others as well.

My grandmother died in her 90s in the 1980s and always kept big jars of peanut butter around. She just loved it! My mom and I both love it, and so does hubby. I was under the impression it was a common food for people my grandmother's age because it was cheap, kept well, was a good source of protein, wasn't something that had to be cooked and was GOOD!

Honored Contributor

I think it is a cute idea. However, some seniors have false teeth or bridges (I think that's what it is called) and something like peanut butter might cause problems.

Just a thought.

Respected Contributor

I know this is kind of late, but I couldn't help post this after reading the news today.

<h1 id="article-title" style="margin: 0px 0px 16px; padding: 0px; border: 0px none; outline: 0px; font-size: 36px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; line-height: 38px; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: -1px; font-family: arial, sans-serif;"> Iowa man arrested after fight over peanut butter and jelly sandwiches</h1>

Police say an Iowa man was arrested after he pulled a knife on his brother during a fight over peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

The Des Moines Register reports that Jerome Davis was arrested on Friday after the confrontation with his brother in their Des Moines home. Both men are in their 50s.

Davis' accuser told police he was angry because he believed his brother was eating too many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Davis allegedly made three sandwiches and ate them in their living room, and made another less than an hour later.

A police report says the brothers began to argue about laziness and overeating. Davis allegedly pulled out a folding knife and held it his brother's face.

Davis was charged with domestic abuse with a weapon.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/04/iowa-man-arrested-after-fight-over-peanut-butter-and-jelly-san...