Honored Contributor

Re: I'm bringing a tray of PB&J sandwiches to NYE at the senior center. Your thoughts?

I know that some people are extremely allergic to peanuts, and I'm guessing it must be very difficult to be anywhere, as peanuts and residue are just about everywhere. I used to be extremely allergic to odors, perfumes, etc. and I had a heck of a time being around other women who were wearing heavy perfumes, fragranced hair shampoo residue, etc. Not so bad now, although I've noticed that fewer women are wearing heavy perfumes.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Re: I'm bringing a tray of PB&J sandwiches to NYE at the senior center. Your thoughts?

On 1/1/2014 DoubleDown said:
On 1/1/2014 birkin baby said:
On 12/30/2013 DoubleDown said:

Yes, it's ridiculous. Way too much sugar and fat. Why not make some healthy sandwiches, like turkey or chicken salad on some premium wheat bread.

{#emotions_dlg.blink}...closest to an eyeroll....it's not the ONLY food being served and its a party.It holds up well with no refrigeration.EVERYTHING does not have to be healthy.

same to you

Lol...I love a good return eye roll!!!

Occasional Contributor

On 1/1/2014 Jules5280 said:
On 12/31/2013 Rachelle said:
On 12/31/2013 Jules5280 said:
On 12/31/2013 kcubed said:
On 12/31/2013 Vamp said

I agree...it's too risky. You and the retirement home are taking on a huge liability if eating your sandwiches causes someone to go into anaphylactic shock--which can cause death (worst case scenario) or a trip to the emergency room (best case scenario).

Many people think peanut allergies are just a minor inconvenience. What they don't understand is the potential they have for killing someone--how is that "over-thinking" the situation? Granted, the odds might be slim, but is it really worth it? At the very minimum, call the facility and ask what their policy is.

Are you kidding me? I commented on this thread last night, and just checked it again this afternoon. I can't believe what this thread has become!
I guess this thread is just a peek into what our world has become.

These are older folks, but they are not patients. They are certainly capable of choosing what food they would like to eat. If a senior is allergic to peanut butter, her or she certainly is capable of resisting that food.

Neither house cat nor the facility would be held responsible if a visiting child ate peanut butter and was allergic to it. The parents of a child with the allergy would be responsible if they did not supervise their child's food choice.

For Pete's sake. Do any of you know what a pot luck dinner is? Everyone should bring what he or she wishes and trust that anyone who eats the dish be responsible for resisting anything that may be harmful to him or her personally. It is called personal responsibility which seems to be lacking in our society!

ITA kcubed! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Pretty soon there will be a call to ban all potlucks because of what might or might not happen. People will just stay home and not socialize, or help feed those that need it. I remember growing up, attending lots of potlucks at our church. I have no idea if the people that cooked that food did it in a filthy kitchen (hopefully not) but we would eat different foods that different families prepared, socialize, and share... and I lived to tell about it. Same with bake sales. I think it makes sense to be aware, but people need to be responsible for themselves, and their children. It is not my duty to worry about what other people's children that may or may not have allergies are eating, anymore than I would expect another person to take on the responsibility of worrying about me or my family. People have said, call the facility and ask.... so the call is made and the facility says yes, peanut butter is fine. How does that prevent a child with peanut allergies from getting sick? It doesn't, because that is the parents job. I bet these seniors will totally love the OP's sandwiches and cookies tonight, doubt she will be taking home any leftovers. Hope they all have fun.

It is risky, so don't get so snarky. Many in these homes do have medical issues, many cannot see like they once did and many try to sneak a little this and that when they know they shouldn't. Potluck in my day was salads, potatos, 12 different ways, meat dishes, breads and so on. I can't ever remember anyone coming withh PB&J......

I wasn't being snarky, and never said it wasn't risky, so who are you to tell me what I can say? I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are, difference is, I don't tell you what you can say. When I am snarky, you'll know it. You say "many" this and "many" that... do you have a senior in one of those homes? Do you take care of a senior 24/7/365? I have a senior father with Parkinson's disease and cancer who has some food restrictions that I care for, so I'm not oblivious to the concerns raised here, but it's about responsibility. I would no more leave my father unattended to eat whatever he wanted than I would any children I had with food allergies. If I fail to do my job, that is on me, nobody else, certainly not the facility hosting the potluck. I guess I miss your point about not having PB&J since those salads, potatoes 12 different ways, meat dishes, breads and so on ALL could have had nuts in them. Anyway, why are you scolding me? I'm not the one taking the PB&J sandwiches....although I thought it was a considerate and lovely gesture by the OP, and I bet they went over famously.

LOL you're being the same obnoxious poster you are on Viewpoints, it's why posters there are done with you. You don't own the boards, "Jules/Maraschino" you don't own any thread.

Respected Contributor

PB&J sandwiches sound like a fun idea to me...as long as there was a sign to let people know that it was PB. Who doesn't like PB&J? The only problem I see is that there is usually so much food to eat at those buffets, that usually there are a lot of leftovers.

My sister put on a huge Christmas buffet, and I couldn't wait to dive into it all. But...I can't tell you how many leftovers there were. As the old saying goes, "The eyes are bigger than the stomach."

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

What a great ideal, they will have some wonderful memories while eating the pbj!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

By now, your event is over. Hope you had a good time and everybody survived, ha, ha.
Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2013 LoopyLoo said:

So sweet and thoughtful of you, d! But I don't know of any seniors in your parents' age group who eat or like peanut butter and jelly. My folks and in laws would have been about ten years older, and I don't think anyone of the four of them ever ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in their lives! Maybe, talk to someone at the senior center, for some input, just to be sure it will be well received!

I think that this is a great idea to bring something so simple. I know tons of seniors who eat PBJ, as it is soft and high in protein. I can't understand all the negative comments. Anytime you have a large group, there will be some who will like and can eat your offering, and some who won't. Folks who have these food allergies don't usually eat at pot lucks, and if they do, they know to be very careful, and the labeling that OP is going to do is more than sufficient. I think there are way to many overly picky people who don't know how to be grateful for what others do.

Trusted Contributor

I know when my dad was alive and got supplemental food boxes, they always had peanut butter in them, (and government cheese!).Hospitalized Diabetics frequently get PB/crackers or cheese/crackers for their evening snack. It is an inexpensive, easy to digest source of protein. I used to have a PB&J sandwich every day for school lunch. People that are very sensitive to peanuts should be considered, of course, but aside from that-PB&J might be very welcome. Especially, if you use a cookie cutter to make pretty designs.

Super Contributor

On 1/3/2014 mominohio said:
On 12/30/2013 LoopyLoo said:

So sweet and thoughtful of you, d! But I don't know of any seniors in your parents' age group who eat or like peanut butter and jelly. My folks and in laws would have been about ten years older, and I don't think anyone of the four of them ever ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in their lives! Maybe, talk to someone at the senior center, for some input, just to be sure it will be well received!

I think that this is a great idea to bring something so simple. I know tons of seniors who eat PBJ, as it is soft and high in protein. I can't understand all the negative comments. Anytime you have a large group, there will be some who will like and can eat your offering, and some who won't. Folks who have these food allergies don't usually eat at pot lucks, and if they do, they know to be very careful, and the labeling that OP is going to do is more than sufficient. I think there are way to many overly picky people who don't know how to be grateful for what others do.

We all tend to post from our own perspective and experience (a good thing, or it would make for some strange communication.) There are indeed many seniors who eat P&J--I'm one of them. But I don't know of one single solitary person of my parents' generation who ever ate peanut butter. Maybe it's a cultural thing. So sue me. I didn't say one word about food allergies; such a thing never occurred to me. You're certainly entitled to think it's a swell idea--just as I am to question it. That doesn't make it a negative comment. The OP was looking for our thoughts. Incidentally, I am extremely grateful for what others do, and try to 'do myself proud' by doing for others as well.

Super Contributor

My mom got to where she couldn't cook, but we had a home health service come in every day to help cook meals and tend to her. One thing she could make for herself though, was PBJ sandwiches. She loved them! Peanut butter on crackers was a favorite, too.

A good quality peanut butter is a great source of protein, and does contain "good" fats. Many people have a bit of a sweet tooth, and a good quality jelly (not jam - stay away from the seeds) can help satisfy that sweet tooth without going to totally empty calories from cakes and such.

I think it could be hit, and it's a very thoughtful thing for you to do. Those parents are special, and there are those like myself that would give anything to be able to be with our parents again, and share a peanut butter sandwich, some love and memories.