Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm bringing a tray of PB&J sandwiches to NYE at the senior center. Your thoughts?

If they are seniors, they have already "made it", why worry about so called "healthy" foods now????

Respected Contributor

Re: I'm bringing a tray of PB&J sandwiches to NYE at the senior center. Your thoughts?

I'm glad the o/p had success .

I guess the thing that surprised me most about this thread, was how many people either are unaware or reluctant to acknowledge that peanut allergies are very serious.

Some people cannot even be in the same room if peanuts are there. They have a reaction just by breathing.

For that reason, it's not something I personally would choose to bring. Or, at the very least, I would call the facility and ask what their opinion was.

But seems like it was good for the o/p, so that's good.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 1/1/2014 colliegirls said:

If they are seniors, they have already "made it", why worry about so called "healthy" foods now????

I know a man who had heart disease and was told sadly one day he could only experct about 6 months more. The next day the doctor said he shouldn't eat those eggs on his breakfast tray. The poor guy said "Yesterday you said I had 6 months to live, today you're telling me I can't have EGGS? I'm going to have a MALT for lunch!" The doctor looked sort of shame-faced, patted him on the back and said "You just enjoy whatever you want to eat. I'll bring you that malt."

Honored Contributor

On 1/1/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:

I guess the thing that surprised me most about this thread, was how many people either are unaware or reluctant to acknowledge that peanut allergies are very serious.

Some people cannot even be in the same room if peanuts are there. They have a reaction just by breathing.

For that reason, it's not something I personally would choose to bring. Or, at the very least, I would call the facility and ask what their opinion was.

You can't rid the country of peanuts because some people are allergic. I am very very sorry for them, and know that life would be difficult, but you can't ban peanuts from the world because of that. Then shellfish have to go, and many other things.

Honored Contributor

On 1/1/2014 Mary Bailey said:
On 1/1/2014 house cat said:

Update - not one of my best potluck moments. There was a lot of food there. It seemed as though everyone took one, but there was still a lot left over.

In any case, it was a fun party and no one died from my food, so I guess that's a success, right? Smile

It sounds successful to me, since just about everyone took one. The potlucks I go to, always seem to have too much food with items leftover.

I'm still craving one. I have PB but no J.

Sometimes I think they should just ask half the people to bring something to a potluck. There is always so much food.

Super Contributor

When I tell my dad what he should and shouldn't eat he tells me, "I'm 90 years old, I'm going to eat what I want"… it's hard to argue with that.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/1/2014 house cat said:

When I tell my dad what he should and shouldn't eat he tells me, "I'm 90 years old, I'm going to eat what I want"… it's hard to argue with that.

Exactly! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 1/1/2014 Sooner said:
On 1/1/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:

You can't rid the country of peanuts because some people are allergic. I am very very sorry for them, and know that life would be difficult, but you can't ban peanuts from the world because of that. Then shellfish have to go, and many other things.

Agreed. If breathing on/kissing someone causes death, I would keep my child home. I eat peanut butter most every day.
Frequent Contributor

On 1/1/2014 birkin baby said:
On 12/30/2013 DoubleDown said:

Yes, it's ridiculous. Way too much sugar and fat. Why not make some healthy sandwiches, like turkey or chicken salad on some premium wheat bread.

{#emotions_dlg.blink}...closest to an eyeroll....it's not the ONLY food being served and its a party.It holds up well with no refrigeration.EVERYTHING does not have to be healthy.

same to you

Honored Contributor

I know lots of seniors (and, of course, kids) who love PB&J sandwiches! Nice idea. And the added cookies are a 'plus'.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).