Respected Contributor

I'm back home again.... with my fiance' ....and we made pulled pork with coleslaw in the smoker today

Hello to all my QVC pals, and you all know who you are....

(I need to see the Ophthalmologist for a new eyeglass prescription, but using bold lettering always makes it easier for me to read without additional eye strain).

I have missed you all, and I am especially concerned about Jules5280 since her Dad recently passed.

Jules if you read this please know you have been in my daily prayers, and will remain in my daily prayers. I hope you are coming along as I know the long grief journey all too well, and I hope you can read my thread and reply to me.

MarieG, Goldie76, Hoovermom, Bigsister, Housecat, Chips, Doobdoo, Marybailey, Twinsister, Rocketmom, AuntG, Beachmom, Doglover3, Zhills, Vicki Is Ok, Debc, Luvpoos, Allegheny, Redtop, Oneanddone, Lilsister, Santorini, and Jennpari.....and I know I probably forgot many other QVC pals, but since you know who you are please reply anyway.

I recently became engaged, and my Fiance' is a retired gentleman a bit younger than myself, who also lost his wife a couple of years ago, and he shares my passion for traveling and tasting different cuisines.

We know each other for a while and have booked the same tours to be together to get to know one another better. At first it was a wonderful caring friendship, but that has blossomed into a loving caring wonderful relationship. When he popped the question and gave me the ring I was really surprised, and very delighted that he chose to share his heart, and his life with me.

They say good things happen to those who wait, and it will be almost 3 years since I lost my beloved Husband and Mother 2 weeks apart, back in the summer of 2011.

I still cry and become very sad, but I know the grief journey takes its own time, and my Fiance' is very kind, caring, supportive, and exceptionally understanding.

We stayed by my place since the weekend, and today made a few of my favorite foods, (and his). We made pulled pork with coleslaw and used Emeril's recipe .

I have posted the recipe below, for those who care to try it. It is really foolproof and delicious.

Barbecued Pulled Pork Sandwiches With Homemade BBQ Sauce, Cole Slaw

Ingredients:
• 1 boneless pork butt, about 4 pounds
• 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 1 tablespoon paprika
• 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon cayenne
• Wet Mop Basting Sauce
• Barbecue Sauce
• 8 Hamburger buns
• Kicked Up Cole Slaw

Directions
• Place the pork in a baking dish. In a bowl, combine the sugar, Essence, salt, cumin, paprika, pepper, and cayenne. Rub the seasoning evenly over the pork to coat. Cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
• Preheat an oven or smoker to 225 degrees F. (I used my smoker).
• Bring the pork to room temperature and place in a roasting pan, fat side up. Slow cook in the oven, basting with the wet mop basting sauce every 45 minutes, until fork tender, about 7 to 8 hours. Remove the pork from the oven, cover with foil and let rest for 30 minutes.
• With a knife and fork or two forks, pull the meat apart into small slices or chunks. Toss with the some of the pan juices to keep the meat moist. Add barbecue sauce, to taste, or serve on the side. Divide the pulled pork among the hamburger buns. Top with the coleslaw or serve on the side with the fried pickles and additional Barbecue Sauce as desired.

Wet Mop Basting Sauce - MAKES 2 CUPS

Ingredients:
• 1 cup white vinegar
• 1 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
• 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons salt

Directions:

The night before you cook the pork, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk well. Refrigerate and let the flavors blend overnight.

Quick And Easy Barbecue Sauce - This is a Carolina-style BBQ Sauce with lots of tang and kick.

MAKES 2 CUPS

• Ingredients:
• 1 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1 cup ketchup
• 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
• 2 tablespoons molasses
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and whisk well to dissolve the sugar. Place in a squeeze bottle and dress the pulled pork sandwiches to taste.

Kicked Up Cole Slaw: This simple cole slaw is a great side for barbecue ribs or use it to top pulled pork sandwiches and fish tacos. MAKES 8 SERVINGS.

Ingredients:
• 3/4 cup mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
• 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
• 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
• 2 tablespoons buttermilk
• 4 teaspoons celery seeds
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
• 3 cups shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 head cabbage)
• 3 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1/2 head cabbage)
• 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
• 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
• 1/2 cup grated yellow onion
• 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

Directions:

• In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar, buttermilk, celery seeds, salt, pepper, and cayenne, and whisk well to dissolve the sugar. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Toss with the dressing until evenly coated. Adjust seasoning, to taste. Place in the refrigerator, covered, to chill slightly before serving.

I'll check back when I can as company just arrived and the food is ready to be served now, and again please know the friendships I have made through so many years on the QVC bb's have brought me such great comfort, pleasure, and joy, and for that I am most thankful.....thankful for each and every one of my kind caring supportive QVC pals.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm back home again.... with my fiance' ....and we made pulled pork with coleslaw in the smoker today

Congratulations and best wishes to you adoreqvc! I am absolutely thrilled you have found someone to share the blessed moments of your life with! I so remember the great concern many of us had for you immediately after your husband and mother passed. I do understand that you will always feel your huge losses, but am happy your heart and mind are open to continuing the life God blessed you with. Wishing you many smiles and much happiness!

Respected Contributor

Re: I'm back home again.... with my fiance' ....and we made pulled pork with coleslaw in the smoker today

I am so very happy for you, it's incredible how 2 people who have lost, find each other and come together. I hear so many stories and believe everything happens for a reason.

The recipe you posted is the best and turns out perfect every time. I'm one of those people who have a roll, put the pulled pork on top of it and a portion of cole slaw over the top. Just gained a half of pound thinking about it!

I was always told, never look back but always toward the future, it's one day at a time.

*** I hope everyone puts their response to you in BOLD so you won't have to strain your eyes *****

Respected Contributor

Oh my gosh Adore! I am so happy for you and can hear it in your voice also. Your food is wafting down here to Alabama and my mouth is watering!!! Thanks for posting, and it was so nice to see you here again.

Thanks, Nantucket Shore for the suggestion for the bold type.

Super Contributor

I find it hard to smoke by "time" .... I usually pull my pork butt off when it gets to 200 degrees, wrap in foil and hold it warm in a styro cooler for about an hour before pulling...
Honored Contributor

So happy to hear that, Adore {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Best wishes to you both.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

So happy to see you back and really happy that you have found love! Lucky you! Sure have missed all those wonderful Green dinners. Hope he loves Greek also!

Best wishes to you both!

Trusted Contributor

Congratulations on the engagement. I think it will be a lot of fun for you to have a new love.

Welcome back. I always enjoy your posts about your food.

Valued Contributor

Jules5280, I did not know you lost your father, I'm so sorry ,I lost my Mother 10 years ago and she was my best friend and I miss her so very much..My prayers are with you Sweetie!!! I just can't imagine what your going through..What I still go through every day !!! ((((( Julie))))) You are a Dear Dear person and such a sweetheart!!!! I will keep you in my prayers!!!

Brittany

Respected Contributor

Adore, how wonderful of you to remember me. I am so happy to read this wonderful news of your engagement. I believe timing is everything and this is your time to be really happy and excited about your future. I'm so glad you and he found each other; it was meant to be, I think.

Congratulations to you both.

And don't stay away too long from the boards.