Respected Contributor

I'm baaack!!!! Ate my way through Savannah!!! Got on the scales this morning, OH MY

I had a wonderful time, a little R & R with 4 other retired co-workers. Left NC at 2:00 Sunday, rode 4 1/2 hours to Savannah.

We stopped at Cracker Barrel driving down. I had a bowl of Chicken and Dumplings. We stayed at a condo called Brass Rail. #114. It was very nice. We arrived at the condo and got situated. Got up Monday morning, had a light breakfast. Lunch at Lady and Sons. Paula and Jamie were there!!! Got to talk to Jamie and just saw his Mom in the gift shop. There was a long line to see her. We did the Trolley ride all over for 90 minutes. That was very nice. Monday night we went to The Crab Shack,this place is not to be missed!! I had a low country boil with no seasoning. I can't handle spicy foods. It had shrimp, sausage, potatoes and corn.

Tuesday we at breakfast in, we fixed sausage/egg/cheese casserole, grits, and biscuits. sorta like brunch.

We went shopping on Tybee Island, and sightseeing. We stopped about 3:00 at Huc A Poos for a bite of pizza. 4 of us split a slice of pizza. Some of the best thin pizza I have ever eaten. Tuesday night we ate at North Beach Bar and Grill. I had a Rib Eye Steak, Pork Belly Potato Salad and Roasted Carrots. I also had a slice of Homemade Hershey's Chocolate cake and Chocolate Frosting. Also had a bite of Caramel Cake. I will get that next time.

Wed. morning we walked to The World Famous Breakfast Club. You get in line and wait until they come out. They ask how many in your party, then they go back in and set the table for you. Then they come and get you. The whole party must be there to get in. I got the one egg, with home fries, grits and hamburger pattie and white toast. It was really good.

We loaded up the car, and drove back to NC. We stopped in Florence, SC at Chick Filet for a snack before getting home.

All and All we had a wonderful time!! and plan to do this next year, but go to different places to eat.

Trusted Contributor

Re: I'm baaack!!!! Ate my way through Savannah!!! Got on the scales this morning, OH MY

Wow sounds like a terrific trip! What did you have at the Lady and Sons?
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm baaack!!!! Ate my way through Savannah!!! Got on the scales this morning, OH MY

Sounds like you had a wonderful time and the food was worth every calorie.

I took a bus trip to Savannah and Charleston with a girlfriend and we we also left no food uneaten. We also ate at Lady & Sons but no Paula Deen sightings. My friend had planned on buying a set of pewter measuring spoons at the gift shop that Paula uses on her show. She saw them and picked them up they were $100, she did not get them, we still laugh about the price for measuring spoons.

I am glad that you had a good time.

Respected Contributor

We ate the buffet at The Lady and Sons. It was very good.

Respected Contributor

I am so jealous!!!! Tell us about Lady and Sons please! My adoration of Paula has never waiverd and I plan on subscribing to her new channel.....so, what did you have? We're the lines around the block the way people say they are??? Most important, what was on the dessert menu???? Once a year I make Gooey Butter Cake, and it's getting to be that time.... Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing info on your trip. I appreciate hearing tips on where you ate, etc. I hope to get to Savannah someday.
Honored Contributor

I loved Savannah, too. The food, the shopping, the art work that still hangs on my wall, the history tour, the architecture and trees. It's an great city to pack lots of experiences into as a tourist.

I'd also like to speak for the honesty of the people I came in contact with - somehow in the haste of packing the car, I left 5 pairs of pants hanging in the closet. Savannah had been the last stop on a long trip, so some of those were not just knock-arounds. When I called from NY - yes, they had them, yes, they could mail them, I just had to pre-pay the postage. And there they were in a few days - neatly packed as well as any expensive store might do.

Respected Contributor

We made reservations for the Lady and Sons. I think you can still just walk up and wait for seating. We sat on the lower level. The 5 of us had the buffet. They had fried chicken, baked chicken, beef stroganoff and noodles. sweet potatoes, baby butter beans, mac and cheese, rice, gravy, collards, green beans. and more veggies (I can't remember the rest). The meat choice may change every day??, but they probably always serve fried chicken!!Smiley Happy

For dessert you had a choice of chocolate gooey cake, banana pudding or peach cobbler, this was included in the price of the buffet. I think it was $16.00 for the buffet.

I guess the desserts change each day?? One of my friends, just had a hot hoe cake with syrup on it.

Valued Contributor

Sounds like a great trip. My Dad was from Savannah and I grew up going to Tybee every summer for two weeks. I would always get dibs on sleeping on the porch so I could hear the waves and feel the ocean breeze. If you ever go back, you must go to Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House for lunch. She has since died, but you eat boarding house style, and it is really good food. You have to stand in line, but it is worth it! And you are not far from Hilton Head Island.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Respected Contributor

I've been to Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House twice. Get there about 10:00 am to line up to get on the first seating. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy