Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Just Sick About This - My Sad Tupperware Saga

To the OP .......... I just typed in Tupperware lids on an ebay search and 196 auctions came up! Some are containers with ""lids"" but there are also auctions that are just lids.

Maybe you can tell from the photos posted if any of them will work for you.

Tink

Honored Contributor

On 5/25/2014 Yahooey said: I once lost one earring. I toss the mate away. A few weeks later the original earring turned up. Since I tossed the mate away. I just had to chuck it. I lose a lot of earrings and they never turn up.

I usually keep the singletons, just in case their partners ever show up.

Super Contributor

On 5/24/2014 ValuSkr said:

Please don't discard the containers. I saw a new product the other day, but can't remember the name. They're used as lids for containers but are more like plastic wrap with an edge like a rubber band. LOL, sorry that's the best I can explain. I'll keep looking for the name of the product and let you know.

That is a great idea/solution. I know exactly what you are talking about I have seen them in some of my catalogs. They are bowl savers. I included the information from a few catalogs including how they reviewed. Amazon, Walmart and Dollar Tree had them on their websites so you may be able to find them at your local dollar store, Walmart, grocery store, kitchen or restaurant supply store.

Kitchen Kraft Catalog: (good reviews)

Item # FP0869 Silikomart Coverflex Silicone Storage Lids Set of 3 $22.95

Forget the plastic film or aluminum foil. These stretchable covers are made of 100% food grade silicone and can be used with all types of containers - bowls, pots, storage containers made of stainless steel, glass, plastic, ceramic, and more. Not just for the refrigerator, these silicone covers can be also used in the freezer, oven or microwave and are heat resistant up to 446?C. Reusable lids do not deteriorate over time. Set includes 3 sizes (8", 6" and 4-1/2" dia.) to fit prep bowls, leftover dishes, plates and more.

Vermont Country Store Catalog: (good reviews)

Item #: 18554 Reusable Bowl Covers (Pkg. of 8 Covers) $9.95

Heavy-duty 4-gauge vinyl bowl covers keep foods fresher longer than flimsy plastic wrap can. Strong elastic edges grip the top of the bowl. Not for use in microwave. Hand wash.

· Made of 4-gauge vinyl

· More economical than plastic wrap

· 8-piece set fits containers from 3" to 11" in diameter

· A helpful hint: to remove the new plastic smell rinse the covers in a mixture of vinegar and water.

Why transfer leftovers to other containers? Just seal serving bowl with a vinyl cover.

Chefs Catalog: (mixed reviews)

Item #29715 Norpro Silicone Stretch Bowl Covers - Set Of 4 $19.95

10 1/4" square (2) and 6" square (2).

Silicone stretches to twice the size to seal round, square, oval or rectangular containers

Extend food life sealing glass, stoneware, porcelain, steel or plastic containers

Covers stay taut to create stackable storage

Smooth silicone releases food or liquid

Reusable covers return to original shape and will not lose elasticity

Alternative to using and discarding plastic wrap or foil

Efficiently replace missing lids on storage containers

FDA-approved

Withstand -40 F to +445 F to preserve food or liquid in the freezer or heat in the microwave.

tkins

Super Contributor

With regard to the lost earring issue - I frequently wear a different earring in each ear, whether I have only one of a pair or not.

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/25/2014 Yahooey said: I once lost one earring. I toss the mate away. A few weeks later the original earring turned up. Since I tossed the mate away. I just had to chuck it. I lose a lot of earrings and they never turn up.

I never in my life lost an earring. Until a few years ago. And of course it was one of my favorites, really beautiful, and I had only had it a short time. I lost it while I was at a pool party, and I looked everywhere! The owners of the pool had the filters checked, all of us searched the grass & surrounding area several times, and they promised to keep an eye out for it.

I held onto the remaining earring, and checked back with the pool owners from time to time. They found other things, even other earrings, but mine didn't turn up.

It is now a few years later. We have been thru Hurricane Irene and Hurricane Sandy, not to mention a whole lot of time going by. And I am still holding onto the remaining earring! It's not that I'm actually waiting for the missing one to suddenly appear. It's just that I'm so afraid it might turn up and I'll be back to having just one of the pair again! Kiss

Valued Contributor

On 5/28/2014 tkins said:
On 5/24/2014 ValuSkr said:

Please don't discard the containers. I saw a new product the other day, but can't remember the name. They're used as lids for containers but are more like plastic wrap with an edge like a rubber band. LOL, sorry that's the best I can explain. I'll keep looking for the name of the product and let you know.

That is a great idea/solution. I know exactly what you are talking about I have seen them in some of my catalogs. They are bowl savers. I included the information from a few catalogs including how they reviewed. Amazon, Walmart and Dollar Tree had them on their websites so you may be able to find them at your local dollar store, Walmart, grocery store, kitchen or restaurant supply store.

Kitchen Kraft Catalog: (good reviews)

Item # FP0869 Silikomart Coverflex Silicone Storage Lids Set of 3 $22.95

Forget the plastic film or aluminum foil. These stretchable covers are made of 100% food grade silicone and can be used with all types of containers - bowls, pots, storage containers made of stainless steel, glass, plastic, ceramic, and more. Not just for the refrigerator, these silicone covers can be also used in the freezer, oven or microwave and are heat resistant up to 446?C. Reusable lids do not deteriorate over time. Set includes 3 sizes (8", 6" and 4-1/2" dia.) to fit prep bowls, leftover dishes, plates and more.

Vermont Country Store Catalog: (good reviews)

Item #: 18554 Reusable Bowl Covers (Pkg. of 8 Covers) $9.95

Heavy-duty 4-gauge vinyl bowl covers keep foods fresher longer than flimsy plastic wrap can. Strong elastic edges grip the top of the bowl. Not for use in microwave. Hand wash.

· Made of 4-gauge vinyl

· More economical than plastic wrap

· 8-piece set fits containers from 3" to 11" in diameter

· A helpful hint: to remove the new plastic smell rinse the covers in a mixture of vinegar and water.

Why transfer leftovers to other containers? Just seal serving bowl with a vinyl cover.

Chefs Catalog: (mixed reviews)

Item #29715 Norpro Silicone Stretch Bowl Covers - Set Of 4 $19.95

10 1/4" square (2) and 6" square (2).

Silicone stretches to twice the size to seal round, square, oval or rectangular containers

Extend food life sealing glass, stoneware, porcelain, steel or plastic containers

Covers stay taut to create stackable storage

Smooth silicone releases food or liquid

Reusable covers return to original shape and will not lose elasticity

Alternative to using and discarding plastic wrap or foil

Efficiently replace missing lids on storage containers

FDA-approved

Withstand -40 F to +445 F to preserve food or liquid in the freezer or heat in the microwave.

tkins

Thanks, you two, this was a great suggestion, but because of the large size of the FridgeSmart containers, and because their lids are specially designed to work together in order to keep fruits and vegetables fresh and crisp, I don't think they would work. However, I'm thinking of picking some of the covers you suggested, because I always have a bowl or plate of something I just stick in the fridge with plastic wrap over it for later. It would save money and the environment.

Frequent Contributor

On 5/24/2014 qmis said:

Wait! Don't throw them out yet! Try Ebay...I have bought several replacement lids on there for vintage Tupperware and had great results Smiley Happy Good Luck

I agree. I was able to get vintage lids also. There are several sellers that have a variety. Keep checking on ebay because if they don't have them now, they will probably have them at a later time. That's how I got mine. Good luck!

Valued Contributor

On 5/31/2014 ceh said:
On 5/24/2014 qmis said:

Wait! Don't throw them out yet! Try Ebay...I have bought several replacement lids on there for vintage Tupperware and had great results Smiley Happy Good Luck

I agree. I was able to get vintage lids also. There are several sellers that have a variety. Keep checking on ebay because if they don't have them now, they will probably have them at a later time. That's how I got mine. Good luck!

Boy, did I just get an idea! I've sold stuff on eBay before, so I may just take a picture of them and list them for sale. Who knows? If people are looking for stray lids, maybe someone, somewhere is looking for containers with no lids. Worth a shot. Then I'd get the new incarnation of FridgeSmart Tupperware is offering now. Or maybe try the Debbie Meyers Green bags & boxes.

Respected Contributor

See if you can find any lids on Ebay.

Super Contributor

grammarqueen:

Email me (TheTupperwareLady@gmail.com) with the mold numbers from the bottom of the actual containers. Over the years, we sold FridgeSmarts in 22 different sets with varying containers. The small size you have is the 'Mini' FridgeSmart. You're probably the only person besides myself who uses the dividers in the regular size ones. I actually may have an extra one of thosel

I wouldn't sell your containers if your thought is to replace with the current Tupperware version. The new version of the FridgeSmart su*ks. No one likes them. I discourage people from buying them.

I WON'T sell a Tupperware item to someone just to make a sale. I have to believe in that item. For many purposes, I may recommend a specific Lock & Lock product instead. That's how I've been able to stay in TW since 1961. Also, because I split sets, and work with customers who may want only one color of an item that comes in a set of 4 or 6 colors.

I will say that for certain things, I DO prefer the Tupperware FridgeSmart containers. I buy grapes at Costco, and they keep for a month. I don't store berries in TW - I prefer to vacuum seal them as they keep longer. Mini peppers store well, as do romaine hearts. Forget storing herbs in the mini ones. You do better leaving stems on most herbs and place in water with a plastlic baggie over the top. Store on counter. Same with asparagus; cut an ½" off the bottoms, place in water and store in fridge.