Super Contributor

Re: I'm Just Sick About This - My Sad Tupperware Saga

On 5/24/2014 Marsha2003 said:

Hugs to you, Grammarqueen. We've probably all experienced that that sick feeling in the pit of our stomach when we realize we've mistakenly disposed of a beloved or much needed item.

And, that's how hoarders get started ... that fear.

Super Contributor

Daisy here. I've been a TW consultant since 1961. HANG ON TO THOSE CONTAINERS.

I suspect the thrift store didn't get rid of the seals. Someone knew they could sell them. I, as well as a number of my TW consultant friends often go to the thrift stores & often buy just seals. They usually sell incomplete TW items for $.05 to $.25 each.

Mostly, I buy the pieces to help a customer complete an item or to have part of an obsolete item for them.

Which FridgeSmart seals are you looking for? There are 6 different size seals on the older FSs. Not sure if I have any, but I'll check with some friends. I'm away from home until next week. I'll check when I get home.

Super Contributor

When I read stuff like this, I can almost justify never wanting to throw anything out!!LOL

So sorry this happened to you, and i DO know how you feel...

A few years ago when my son and DiL were visiting (going to Disneyland)with her 10 and 12 year old nephews, and after i had them over for dinner, one of the boys said to my son, "WOW, Uncle, your mom has EVERYTHING!" to which my son dryly answered, "No she has TWO of everything...!"

Well, I sure wish i had some of these to give you, I certainly would...

Super Contributor

On 5/24/2014 birkin baby said:

I use older Tupperware with missing lids for other things. The fridgesmart containers are so sturdy. I would repurpose them to hold things,organize things...like makeup ,nail polish,gravy and say e packets,toiletries,spices,or whAtever needs correlating in my cabinets,shelves,fridge,etc. I am using a white canister set I found at goodwill (cracked lids) as utensil holders and its awesome.Also check EBAY. They might pop up there.

I do that too and they are great. I have some old small round containers that were purchased in 1982 IIRC and really never used them much for food storage. They work well for small office supplies such as paper clips, stamps, pins and odds and ends such as buttons and round bottles like nail polish.

Honored Contributor

On 5/24/2014 ennui1 said:

Hugs to you, Grammarqueen. We've probably all experienced that that sick feeling in the pit of our stomach when we realize we've mistakenly disposed of a beloved or much needed item.

I hardly think so. Someone who uses something on a regular basis, and accidentally gave away part of it, rendering it not usable for it's original purpose, then feeling upset about it is not in the pre stages of becoming a hoarder. Why do some people try to make such ridiculous connections.

Esteemed Contributor

Around 40 yrs ago, my mom bought a beautiful clock -- set in a flowered unit a couple of feet tall -- and it's a collectible. It's been sitting on my piano for years - and a few weeks ago, I decided to run it under the water to rinse it (rather than just dust it). I placed it on my kitchen counter and when I lifted it up a few inches, it hit the bottom of my cupboard above it - and a couple pieces broke off the top. I almost passed out. I had to compose myself. My mom bought several other collectibles years ago -- and all have broken - either during my move or from an earthquake.

Valued Contributor

YES...I'd check Ebay before giving up!! (like others said)

Here's one lid (says vintage, so might work...$4.25)

Good luck and I'm sorry this happened to you - just trying to be a great citizen!!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/188487524/tupperware-fridgesmart-medium-seal-sheer?utm_source=google&ut...

Honored Contributor

I once lost one earring. I toss the mate away. A few weeks later the original earring turned up. Since I tossed the mate away. I just had to chuck it. I lose a lot of earrings and they never turn up.
Valued Contributor

On 5/24/2014 mominohio said:
On 5/24/2014 ennui1 said:

I hardly think so. Someone who uses something on a regular basis, and accidentally gave away part of it, rendering it not usable for it's original purpose, then feeling upset about it is not in the pre stages of becoming a hoarder. Why do some people try to make such ridiculous connections.

Why do some people post such a ridiculous connection except to hurt someone? Click on her name and read some of her past posts. Judgmental, and an almost shocking lack of empathy.

Valued Contributor

On 5/24/2014 Deadeye Daisy said:

Daisy here. I've been a TW consultant since 1961. HANG ON TO THOSE CONTAINERS.

I suspect the thrift store didn't get rid of the seals. Someone knew they could sell them. I, as well as a number of my TW consultant friends often go to the thrift stores & often buy just seals. They usually sell incomplete TW items for $.05 to $.25 each.

Mostly, I buy the pieces to help a customer complete an item or to have part of an obsolete item for them.

Which FridgeSmart seals are you looking for? There are 6 different size seals on the older FSs. Not sure if I have any, but I'll check with some friends. I'm away from home until next week. I'll check when I get home.

I have the complete set, plus one container that is really small, that I think was an extra to the set I'd gotten in the late 1990's. I also accidentally gave away the divider too. It is the blue containers with the white lids, but I will take any color that fits. Thanks for checking, and keep me posted.

If the thrift shop kept the seals, and then lied to me about keeping them, I'd be shocked. I have worked as a volunteer at this hospital, and I know these women, they are part of the volunteer staff. I can pop back in and check, but I've never seen them have mismatched Tupperware pieces up for sale. They have very limited floor space, not like a huge Salvation Army store.