Honored Contributor

Re: I love retro design, but what were they thinking?

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Oh yeah - from the 50s! I remember the pink appliances and also light blue and yellow! And metal cabinets! My parents bought a house in the 60s with the light blue bathroom - everything in that room was blue! We've come a long way!

Some of us, maybe. I’m still firmly attached to the late ‘40’s, and happy there, Thank You very much!

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach 

BRING IT ON! My appliances are all about 15 years old and starting to need replacing... I'd welcome some color!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I seem to remember Philco refrigerators.  Didn't Betty Furness show them on tv? lol I want a retro fridge-turquoise. They want a fortune for one and the shipping is almost as much as the appliance. 

Esteemed Contributor

Even as a small child, I couldn't stand the color pink so this would be a definite NO for me.  BTW, I don't recall ever seeing a pink kitchen before.  I've seen pink bathrooms from this era  but just don't remember seeing it in a kitchen.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

Even as a small child, I couldn't stand the color pink so this would be a definite NO for me.  BTW, I don't recall ever seeing a pink kitchen before.  I've seen pink bathrooms from this era  but just don't remember seeing it in a kitchen.  

Neither have I.  I have seen pink tile work and countertops, but not actual appliances.

Valued Contributor

I love the idea...just not the pink.  I would love the turquoise color.  I remember my dad getting my mom an avacado green refrigerator back in the 70's but their stove was white.  It was a close out model and it was cheap.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

In my fantasy cottage, the one I live in and decorate all by myself, I have a retro style kitchen and a pink fridge would not be out of the question.  I'm not sure how it would work for a modern family, however. We've come to expect our appliances to have a lot of bells and whistles that weren't available when those appliances were designed.

@house_cat   you need to buy U a SMEG mixer. Retro,  yay !

Frequent Contributor

Looks like something Bill Levitt would have done in one of his Levittowns!

Honored Contributor

Rest assurred people will make fun of our decorating 50 or even fewer years from now.