Honored Contributor

I love retro design, but what were they thinking?

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 7.26.32 PM.png

This might be a little too pink even for me.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: I love retro design, but what were they thinking?

@house_cat  Ugh! I'm 71 and when I was little my grandma had the pink refrigerator she hounded grandpa to buy for her! I loved it **then** cuz it was grandma's, but not now!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat . My aunt had something similar in the late fifties a bit bigger and more modern looking. It was turquoise instead of pink.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

I actually like the fridge and I could see it in a more neutral kitchen... like my grey and white one, for instance.  But all that pink is a bit overwhelming.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Wow 😲!!  Way to pink for me!!

Honored Contributor

Aside from too much pink, the white cabinets and the wall coverings are not for me either.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, that’s not gonna work for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

A few years after I graduated from college, I moved into an older apartment that had this basic kitchen setup but in olive/avocado green. What year was this, you ask? 1998.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

🤮🤢🤮🤢🤮🤢🤮🤢

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pink kitchens and other bright colors were popular during the 40's and 50's.  Back then this kitchen would have been super modern.

In the present time, these kitchen cabinets are sought after and very expensive.  I have seen them sold for thousands of dollars even if they are rusted and worn.  The buyer will just have them repainted.

my father's first cousin who has never been married and is now in her 90's is living in her family home that was purchased back around 1910.  The kitchen was remodeled in the 40's and the kitchen is in perfect condition...it looks like new.  Her kitchen is red, white and turquoise.

Everything in her kitchen is original...it's a real blast into the past.  I love these old

kitchens.  I wouldn't want one in my home, but I'd love it in a summer vacation home.

The kitchen in the picture is from an ad placed in a magazine and not really a kitchen in someone's home.  It's just very pink to show what was available in that color.