Super Contributor

Re: I just ordered two of these… turns out Mother did know best!

On 4/6/2014 evelyner said:

My mom wears those house coats all the time, and I promised myself I would never do that.

Why is that? I know a lot of women feel this way, but I don't really understand.

Respected Contributor

On 4/6/2014 house cat said:

My mom wears those house coats all the time, and I promised myself I would never do that.

Why is that? I know a lot of women feel this way, but I don't really understand.

My mom wore one similar that she called a house coat. It was much longer though and came to her knees.

The one pictured is an apron, not a house coat as the pockets would be too low.

At least that's what it appears to me.

Honored Contributor

Because my once vital mom stated slopping around in her house coat. She got to where she didn't want to get dressed, hated if anyone came to see her because of the way she looked and didn't want to go anywhere. My dad got dressed when he got up every day of his life until a few weeks before he died at 96.

You need to get up and put on your clothes and get ready for whatever happens! If someone calls and invites you to come over, or go somewhere, you're good to go! I believe 1000 percent in the flylady "Put your shoes on" concept! A house coat just doesn't cut it! You just never feel as peppy and ready to do something in your house coat or gown.

Super Contributor

On 4/6/2014 Sooner said:

Because my once vital mom stated slopping around in her house coat. She got to where she didn't want to get dressed, hated if anyone came to see her because of the way she looked and didn't want to go anywhere. My dad got dressed when he got up every day of his life until a few weeks before he died at 96.

You need to get up and put on your clothes and get ready for whatever happens! If someone calls and invites you to come over, or go somewhere, you're good to go! I believe 1000 percent in the flylady "Put your shoes on" concept! A house coat just doesn't cut it! You just never feel as peppy and ready to do something in your house coat or gown.

I still don't understand completely. In my mom's case, as well as mine, we get dressed and then put this on top of our outfit to cook or clean. If someone comes to the door you can remove it in seconds. My mom is 90 and still loves fashion. In fact, I think that's why she loved these smocks, because they protected her precious clothing.

Super Contributor

My mom used to wear what they called "model" coats when she was putting her makeup on. ShopNational sells them, short sleeve, pockets, snaps down the front. It would protect your clothes if you were putting on makeup after you were dressed or gobs of AquaNet, ha, ha and it snapped so you wouldn't have to pull it over your head and wreck your hair. In vintage cosmetic ads, young glamorous women were always wearing them sitting at their vanities.
Honored Contributor

On 4/6/2014 Sooner said:

Your Mom exhibited classic symptoms of post menopausal depression. it is too bad that until our generation nothing was really done to help any of the zillions of women who have this. BTW - it had nothing to do with weather or not she wore an apron - and an apron and a housecoat are not the same thing.
Trusted Contributor

On 4/5/2014 In-x-s said:

I actually buy scrubs at thrift stores and use those for ""aprons"" when cooking and for cleaning. Love the pockets in them and don't have to worry about ruining clothing. Read that tip on these boards somewhere.

I have some old scrubs that are too big. I'll bet I could make them into some thing like this.

I had to wear these Kittels when I worked as a housekeeper and cook more than 40 years ago. I have wished I had some many times since and have asked for them at many kitchen stores but no one knew what they were.

Honored Contributor

On 4/6/2014 Sooner said:

I still don't understand completely. In my mom's case, as well as mine, we get dressed and then put this on top of our outfit to cook or clean. If someone comes to the door you can remove it in seconds. My mom is 90 and still loves fashion. In fact, I think that's why she loved these smocks, because they protected her precious clothing.

The conversation had drifted from aprons to house coats. . . which someone mentioned

Honored Contributor

On 4/6/2014 happy housewife said:
On 4/6/2014 Sooner said:

Your Mom exhibited classic symptoms of post menopausal depression. it is too bad that until our generation nothing was really done to help any of the zillions of women who have this. BTW - it had nothing to do with weather or not she wore an apron - and an apron and a housecoat are not the same thing.

It had nothing at all to do with depression with my mom. It was when she started living life as she pleased. She's delighted with her lifestyle. She is about the least depressed person on the planet. That being said, she often won't go out because she would have to spend the two hours (no joke--a fact) getting dressed to the nines to step out the door. She feels like she can do what she wants in life now. Who am I to argue? BUT her not getting up and dressed HAS held her back.

Contributor

I have a couple of these & can't find them. I have one I do use for when I highlight my own hair at home.

I am tired of ruining my clothes cooking. The last load of laundry I did, I had to spray stain remover on all my tops. One day I was pulling pork from my crockpot & some of it fell back in & it splashed all over me.

Later that week I was making a chicken recipe. As I was squeezing the mayo jar, it sputtered & not only went on the chicken but also all over my top. I don't know how. I feel like a magnet for every cooking grease, liquid, splatter, etc..

When sautéing or frying, I always get spattered. I don't need an apron for the waist down, everything seems to hit me waist up.

Cobbler aprons are not that flattering but they do cover me up. The only thing I wish that the material was not so thin, a little more substantial.