Super Contributor

Re: I just ordered two of these… turns out Mother did know best!

Check out the Jesse Steele Aprons online. Very cute. I just bought one at Home Goods with Vintage cherries on it. Very cute. Saves my clothes and I like wearing them. And don't forget the matching long rubber gloves to save the hands.

Honored Contributor

Housecat, my mom wore cobbler smocks all of the time. She had quite the collection.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have a friend who makes something similar and donates the proceeds to a local charity. Hers are bibs.. that look like this but attach with Velcro. They are double sided. Believe it or not when we go out to dinner with friends we all don them and save our clothes from spatter. And when I cook with something that might ATTACK ME I put one on.

Super Contributor

On 4/6/2014 Bird mama said:

Housecat, my mom wore cobbler smocks all of the time. She had quite the collection.

There is comfort in that, at least for me. My mom, grandma and my dearest aunt always wore them.

My husband is a very easy-going guy. He compliments freely and criticizes rarely. However, he grew up with a mom who had a high powered job and dressed accordingly. She's almost 80 now and I've never seen her in something like this apron. I guess she had the money to ruin a blouse cooking every now and then, while my mom didn't. He was very impressed, and not in a good way, with the 'house dresses' my mom wore - they were long versions of this apron. He said if I ever started to dress like that it would be a "deal breaker". I remember being taken aback by those words, especially since it wasn't like him to be so critical. When my first son was born, by c-section, she bought me one of those dresses, thinking it would be comfortable for me. It was! When he saw me in it he was horrified. I was 25 years old, slim and cute, if I do say so myself… still, he asked me not to wear that dress.

He now thinks it's funny the way I look like my mom in that apron, but he hasn't said anything negative. Men are weird the way they can forget hurting our feelings and we remember it decades later.

Respected Contributor

I really like the look of these Cobbleer aprons. I think I'll order a couple. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

My mom wears those house coats all the time, and I promised myself I would never do that.

Honored Contributor

I am a sloppy cook I guess but i was getting my t shirts all splattered and stained so I made myself a couple aprons and use them everyday - I like this better though - it covers more. I think women are using aprons more now than in the pasdt few years - a lot of women come home from work and have to start cooking and don't want to splatter their work dresses.
Honored Contributor

I wear an apron when I cook, but I would never wear a house coat or a smock-type garment.

Respected Contributor

I always wear an apron as I don't like staining my clothes while cooking.

My favorite one has pockets, fastens around the neck and ties around the waist; quick and easy. I just throw in the wash after cooking.

Don't know what I'd do without my apron.

Honored Contributor

Anything with pockets works for me. I'm always hauling ummmm stuff around the house.