Honored Contributor

Re: I just made a large batch of Vanilla Extract.

I've never made it because I just heard about it several months ago but I will!

Respected Contributor

On 2/2/2015 colliemom3 said:

I've never made it because I just heard about it several months ago but I will!

You should try it. It is really easy & it is wonderful. I add a little to anything I make. Pancake batter. Oatmeal. Box cake mixes.

Respected Contributor

My former boss used to make her own liquor. We called it 'hooch', LOL. One of her favorites to make was Irish Cream liquor and it was so good. Every holiday season I say I'm going to make it then never get around to it. Maybe this year!

The vanilla extract sounds yummy. I'll add your recipe to my To Do list, thanks!

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Have you ever bought vanilla beans at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods? Just wondering if they could be used in this recipe rather than buying online.

Respected Contributor

On 2/3/2015 ValuSkr said:

Have you ever bought vanilla beans at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods? Just wondering if they could be used in this recipe rather than buying online.

I haven't bought them locally. They are sort of expensive. $4-5 per bean. $4.99 for 1 bean on beanilla.com, but you can get 5 for $5.50 with free S&H. The 1-3 beans come in a glass vial, I don't know why. For a vanilla bean collection? 5 beans & up come sealed in plastic bags. So to make a batch of vanilla of any size, it is much cheaper to order them.

Honored Contributor

On 2/3/2015 Dusty1 said:
On 2/3/2015 ValuSkr said:

I haven't bought them locally. They are sort of expensive. $4-5 per bean. $4.99 for 1 bean on beanilla.com, but you can get 5 for $5.50 with free S&H. The 1-3 beans come in a glass vial, I don't know why. For a vanilla bean collection? 5 beans & up come sealed in plastic bags. So to make a batch of vanilla of any size, it is much cheaper to order them.

Thank you, Dusty. Sounds like online is a better option. I'm looking forward to trying this!

Honored Contributor

On 2/2/2015 Dusty1 said:
On 2/2/2015 snickster said:

I leave the beans in the original bottle of vodka that I started with and then when that bottle was gone I added them with more fresh beans when I started my 2nd bottle. I also just use the vodka bottle to pour from in my own kitchen, but did buy small brown bottles to give out to friends and family.

What ratio of beans to vodka do you use? I used 30 beans for each 1.75 liter bottle of Vodka. I just split it up, so I could go ahead & pass them out.

Sorry Dusty1, I just saw your question to me. I used about 12 beans per 1.75 liter bottle of vodka. Let it ferment about 6 months...delicious. Everyone I gave it to loved it. Let me know how the bourbon turns out. I want to try that next.

"To each their own, in all things".