Honored Contributor

Re: I have what is probably a dumb dishwasher question

Good old Arm and Hammer baking soda will clean it.   I have also put bleach in mine.  Both work well.  Also, vinegar will work.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

Thank you all so much for your input. I knew I could get lots of good suggestions here. I always have plenty of vinegar around so I am going to try that. Love vinegar for cleaning.

Thanks again!!

cookin

Respected Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

@Rockycoast

"has the best answer"!!

I own only and always purchase ~~_ _ a Bosch__!!

I would be the last of any woman being in any kitchen;

sterile and sanititizing would be my expert, i.e., SURGERY.

@ Once every 4 months is>>* fine, except for those dishes filled with grease (too LZ to remove), or food -heavy foods attached to the plates. GREAT ANSWER _   @Rockycoast.

Someone with actual sense. 

Why thank you Naes!  White vinegar usually is the answer to cleaning problems. haha.. Glad you like your Bosch too. Of all the DW we have had over the years, Bosch has been the best. Never a problem, gets the dishes clean the first time. Never an odor,build up or gunk in it.

Respected Contributor

Never thought about cleaning the dishwasher: no odors and all glasses and dishes come out sparkly.  The inside of the DW is metal and sparkles still.

Years ago when we bought our shore house, the DW there was cruddy.  We ran it several times with a lot of Tang crystals ( yes, the orange juice powder product ) as the soap.  The white insides cane out free from the rusty coloring and stains.  It lasted for many years after that.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

LEMI-SHINE is a great product to use in the dishwasher.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Put a cup of white vinegar on the top shelf of the dishwasher and run through a complete cycle.  (I use a plastic measuring cup.)  It should get rid of any bad odors and freshen the dishwasher.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

A stainless tub instead of plastic will work wonders in convincing you your machine is clean.  Its more money but worth it over the life cycle.

Respected Contributor

@AnikaBrodie so you don't empty out the vinegar into the washer, just leave it in the bowl and run a cycle? 

I'm confused, how does vinegar sitting in a bowl clean it out, unless the bowl gets tipped over somewhere in the cycle?

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CAcableGirl2

In my post way back a page or two ago, I mentioned that I use TWO small bowls of vinegar.......one on top rack, one on bottom.  You might-- and probably will-- find the water left in those bowls after the washer runs is cloudy, with detergent buildup or hard-water mineral deposits. 

You can discard this cloudy water anywhere except back into the dishwasher.  You can, if you wish, then run a quick-rinse cycle to get rid of anything remaining in the washer.

When water is sloshing around in your dishwasher, the vinegar in the bowls gets discharged and spread around.  It doesn't just sit in the bowl.

I use very small glass bowls, both fairly shallow in  depth.  I wouldn't trust plastic containers when they meet up with straight acidic vinegar.

I also suspect it would be unwise to simply pour straight vinegar into the washer, as its acidity might damage the dishwasher parts.  It's probably safer to let the vinegar mix with water naturally as the machine runs.

I have used this vinegar-cleaning method for years in KitchenAid, Bosch and GE dishwashers, and it does get rid of any odor, any musty smell and makes the stainless steel interior of the washer shine. 

(By the way, I would never buy a dishwasher that doesn't have a stainless interior.)  Hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1  Thank you, I will give this a try today.

......You look like I need a drink.....