Respected Contributor

Re: I have become the laziest grocery shopper ever

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

I enjoy grocery shopping, but I have been using Walmart's delivery for household items that are difficult to schlepp, like cat food, cat litter, paper towels, toilet tissue, etc. If you spend $50, they have free next day delivery. You can't beat that.

This ^

You make a great point, for those things it is such a convience. Plus I buy cases of juices, gatorade, V8 and the like, it is so much easier to have those delivered too. Im with ya there!! 

I like the Progresso soups and a few other type can goods, crackers etc I order but for meats and vegies I do shop for those myself in store.

@sissel, Im not sure I would tip the guy/gal that loads the car at say Walmart but I do tip delivery guys/gals that bring my goods to my home. In Seattle here they more often than not use their personnal cars, Im not sure if Amazon (which I use most) gives them a gas stipend + wear and tear on their cars so I like to tip them some cash that they dont have to claim!

@icezeus, you really should give it a try once, I bet you really might love the convenience since you work full time. At least you will know if it works for you and if not, do it your usual way!

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Vivian  I am glad you started this . There are a lot of ideas I never considered . 

I only live less than a mile from a major grocery  and for the most part enjoy going myself. I was sick a few weeks ago and I could see where if I had not recovered as fast as I did using this option. It would certainly be easier than tutoring DH and the questioning cell calls from him at the store. Smiley Happy on what we needed . Just order and he could pick it up. 

I like to pick out the items of produce and meat . I also like to check out the reduced items. It does seem it could  be a blessing for some.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonlady wrote:
I can't imagine staying home for a 2-hour window on delivery of groceries. We go out a lot lol.

That said, it's a great convenience for those who need it, including those who are homebound. Until then, I'm happy to do my own shopping--and it doesn't take long.

I have never waited 2 hours for an order. 

My SHIPT lady is in touch (texts) and I know when she leaves the store and how long it takes for her to get here.   Real convenience. 

Recently, I sent an order to an outpatient surgery person and sent foods that he would not have to 'fix' to eat; apples, salads, fried chicken, bread, sliced ham, etc.  Worked great!

You don't have to order just from the SHIPT site.  You can request any item that your grocery carries.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaGal wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

I enjoy grocery shopping, but I have been using Walmart's delivery for household items that are difficult to schlepp, like cat food, cat litter, paper towels, toilet tissue, etc. If you spend $50, they have free next day delivery. You can't beat that.

This ^

You make a great point, for those things it is such a convience. Plus I buy cases of juices, gatorade, V8 and the like, it is so much easier to have those delivered too. Im with ya there!! 

I like the Progresso soups and a few other type can goods, crackers etc I order but for meats and vegies I do shop for those myself in store.

@sissel, Im not sure I would tip the guy/gal that loads the car at say Walmart but I do tip delivery guys/gals that bring my goods to my home. In Seattle here they more often than not use their personnal cars, Im not sure if Amazon (which I use most) gives them a gas stipend + wear and tear on their cars so I like to tip them some cash that they dont have to claim!

@icezeus, you really should give it a try once, I bet you really might love the convenience since you work full time. At least you will know if it works for you and if not, do it your usual way!

Smiley Happy

@SeaGal 

I have actually just placed my first order, and I am awaiting delivery which should arrive within two hours. I signed up for a trial period on delivery, where after two weeks you pay a monthly fee of $9.99. That works out to about $2.50 a week for delivery. I am good with that. I was able to tip online as well. It took a bit to acclimate to grocery shopping online, but towards the end I had a rhythm. I also signed up for the free APP on my phone. I have already receive notification that the shopping has begun, and notification that one item that I wanted was not available. I substituted right through the APP. So far so good. 

Fingers crossed. I really hope this works out. 

I forgot to add, that originally I was shopping at a local southern California chain store called Stater Bros.  The prices were outrageous. I deleted the cart and started over with another grocery chain called ALDI's, which had much better pricing. 

Honored Contributor

A few years ago I used the delivery from Safeway once each time I had surgery and couldn't drive.   Now there are so many more stores doing the home delivery.  A couple of months ago I used Instacart and was pleased with the service.  I definitely will use this if I get a bad cold, etc. or when I'm older and can't or don't want to drive.   I have a friend that is having chemo, but still goes to the stores as she doesn't want anyone else picking out her items.  Immune system is very comprised so I think she should use the delivery or even ask her kids to help out.  (they are adults)  To me it is too  risky to be in stores especially this time of year.   When I need to use the delivery services, I will.  

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbird That freezing of fruit IS an issue. I've suspected that when shopping, myself, for oranges, in particular, at certain times--and those oranges have occasionally been "dry."

And, yes, the option for delivery is wonderful. Pet stores have even been advertising about deliveries. That's great for those who can't get out--or who don't want to.

As for Aldi, I wasn't even aware that they delivered, but I wouldn't miss the chance to go there the only time of year I visit:Christmastime. Their imported items are to die for. Last week, DH and I picked up Choceur and Moser Roth chocolates for gifts (and for ourselves), and an assortment of delicious cheeses. One of our radio drive-time hosts was raving about their boozy cheeses lol and party trays.They also use their floor space for impulse items that aren't available at other times--we got cute beds for our pets.

Aldi really puts on a spread during the holiday season.

What worries you masters you.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Interesting.  While I prefer to select my own produce, it would be nice on occasion to have other items delivered!  I haven't tried it yet but your post has made me think about it...will look into my local supermarket, plus Wegmans & Whole Foods ...both are around 1/2 hour away so I wonder how far they will make a delivery?

ETA:  Just curious what those of you who use this service give for a tip?  Do you tip a percentage of the order?

Produce or meat selection is hit or miss depending upon your store.  I.E. haven't used Publix delivery, but our local store's produce selection is abysmal when doing self shopping - they offer items that should be thrown out (and yes, we have complained to mgmt).

OTOH, Walmart's online produce is stellar!  Have heard they choose produce from the back - fresher than what's on the floor, but have been unable to verify,

As far as tipping, Walmart doesn't "allow" tipping.  However, we find a way to surreptitiously tip a nominal amount as we find this service so valuable, usually $5.00 per $100 purchase (need to bump this up) - and usually have the same man often and give him an excellent review.

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

@sissel wrote:

Do you tip the delivery person?  I always wondered what you do when they arrive. My DD's co-workers that have small children order on their lunch time then go after work to pick it up. They said not only saving time but they save money because the kids always want treats which add up the bill. 

@sissel 

I used the service for the first time today, and I tipped when I finished my order online.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I am impressed that people can get their groceries that way.   I'm such a freak about being picky about food, especially for the fresh food items, that I could never imagine somebody else picking them out.

If I could, I probably would change it because I've actually never been the 'loves to shop' type and, in fact, the only store-shopping I do is the grocery store.

It's good to know that these services work well!  Smiley Happy

Hey, try it out slowly.  We started with boxed/canned/frozen and non-food items, then threw in a few fresh produce and later fresh meat at our Walmart Marketplace and have never been disappointed.

Denise
Super Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

@Vivian 

I have my groceries delivered every other week. Most of the time I order from Shop Rite (they have their own delivery driver) and I have been very satisfied with the quality of the items and their service. They do not increase the price of items when you order "shop rite from home". There is a delivery fee, but it it worth every cent to me for the great quality and service that I receive. 

Due to recent illness, I have mobility issues now and trying to shlep multiple bags of items into my house would be too difficult. Their driver brings the packages in for me so that all I have to do is unload/put away. 

Thanks for the recommendation about Aldis. One recently opened near me so I may try their delivery. 

@FlyersGirl --------I wonder if you live in the Rockland County area ? ShopRite is a big local store and they opened an Aldi's not two long ago........