Honored Contributor

Re: I have become the laziest grocery shopper ever

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

I discovered the convenience a few years ago when I had a cold that wouldn't go away.  It sure was nice to not have to get dressed and drive somewhere.

I haven't used it since then, but lately I do notice, especially in my local Whole Foods, that it seems there are more personal shoppers pushing carts around than there are individual shoppers.

(One day I was kind of happy I got better cuts of salmon than the personal shopper who got a couple right after I did.)

@GingerPeach  Sadly that is why I don't order those types of food this way. However, we have been buying other grocery goods more often online each year...paper products, canned goods, etc.

Produce, meats, seafood, dairy and frozen goods will be items we will always buy in-store.

And the only bread product we buy is from a bakery in California...Sprouted Flaxseed Bread. We order 6 loaves at a time and freeze them...taking out one at a time and use as needed.

Respected Contributor

After watching those who are picking out the groceries at my local King Soopers (Kroger) store.  NO WAY, NO HOW!  They sneeze right on the stuff, wipe their nose on their sleeves and other nasty things.  They throw the items in the cart and if they can't find the right brand they decide what to substitute.  I will continue to choose my own until I no longer can.  I can only hope other chains do a better job.

Respected Contributor

I order online & pickup. I never worry about what the shopper picks because I can give instructions about what I want...center cut salmon, bananas with brown spots for baking, check for best dates, etc. & they do a great job. I use the service for convenience but others don't...this summer an able bodied man walked by the pickup parking pointing-yelling "Talk about being lazy, all of you are lazy"...my heart sank because the man in the van parked next to me is a double amputee. Honestly, some people are clueless.

Esteemed Contributor

For the last several months, I've been ordering lots of food from Costco dot com - it's just for me. I'm older and sometimes it's just too much to drive there (it's close by) - park my car, go from one aisle to another - then wait on line to check out, drive home - and be exhausted. It's called InstaCart - and it's so convenient. They recently started including the tip in the total - which is a good idea. I also gave the young delivery man an additional $5.00. My rerigerator and freezer are FULL.

Respected Contributor

@Vivian 

Not lazy but smart is how I see it !!!!  You have more energy now to do what you want....or not do anything but relax !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I can't imagine staying home for a 2-hour window on delivery of groceries. We go out a lot lol.

That said, it's a great convenience for those who need it, including those who are homebound. Until then, I'm happy to do my own shopping--and it doesn't take long.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

Do you tip the delivery person?  I always wondered what you do when they arrive. My DD's co-workers that have small children order on their lunch time then go after work to pick it up. They said not only saving time but they save money because the kids always want treats which add up the bill. 

Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely hate grocery shopping. One of my good GF's has mentioned to me that I should check out the delivery services, but I did not trust them, and wondered what type of food is delivered, how does it work etc. etc.  I have never taken the time to investigate it.

Reading this thread has me leaning towards giving it a try, because as I mentioned earlier. I absolutely hate grocery shopping. During the work week, by the time I make it back home after my commute it's already 6:30 and I just do not have the energy to hit the grocery store, and the supermarkets are just horribly crowded, with all sorts of annoying people on Saturday.

Honored Contributor

Wow, I guess thank goodness we are all different. I would NEVER order food online! I would NEVER buy food from other countries! Really? It's gotta be made in the USA for me to eat it. I inspect all the produce and things I buy in person and am a stickler on doing that. I'm sure the stock boy is running around the store filling your order doesn't care about quality. Nope, I only personally pick out my own food. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

To answer the tipping question, at least at Aldi's, there is a spot to add a tip. I add 15%. When the delivery person arrives, I just have to take the bags. The food has been fresh and never over-the-hill. If it had been, I'd never reorder. It's really been great. My husband has Alzheimer's and going shopping with him is becoming similar to shopping with a toddler. I always have to make sure he doesn't wander off. So far, after about 4-5 deliveries, I've received my order within the first five minutes of the two-hour window. I think that's because I ask for delivery the following day so I may be first on the list.