Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have become the laziest grocery shopper ever

I discovered online grocery shopping when I started ordering groceries for my mother, who's 97. Then I tried it for myself and I got hooked. I've been ordering from Aldi's because their prices are good, their deliveries are efficient, and they have interestiñg imported products. Their German soups are the best. Just before Thanksgiving, I wound up at a local Wegman's. It was a loony bin and my husband picked up an upper respiratory infection as well. I will now sit back, turn on my iPad, and order away.

Honored Contributor

Re: I have become the laziest grocery shopper ever

@Vivian wrote:

I discovered online grocery shopping when I started ordering groceries for my mother, who's 97. Then I tried it for myself and I got hooked. I've been ordering from Aldi's because their prices are good, their deliveries are efficient, and they have interestiñg imported products. Their German soups are the best. Just before Thanksgiving, I wound up at a local Wegman's. It was a loony bin and my husband picked up an upper respiratory infection as well. I will now sit back, turn on my iPad, and order away.

Thanks for letting me know Aldis is good. I’ve tried Publix. Publix uses Instacart and they are also good. 

Trusted Contributor

I like Instacart, it's a lot better than Shipd (or something like that) in that it has an explanation for the item and usually a box showing the contents of that food.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian 

I have my groceries delivered every other week. Most of the time I order from Shop Rite (they have their own delivery driver) and I have been very satisfied with the quality of the items and their service. They do not increase the price of items when you order "shop rite from home". There is a delivery fee, but it it worth every cent to me for the great quality and service that I receive. 

Due to recent illness, I have mobility issues now and trying to shlep multiple bags of items into my house would be too difficult. Their driver brings the packages in for me so that all I have to do is unload/put away. 

Thanks for the recommendation about Aldis. One recently opened near me so I may try their delivery. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting.  While I prefer to select my own produce, it would be nice on occasion to have other items delivered!  I haven't tried it yet but your post has made me think about it...will look into my local supermarket, plus Wegmans & Whole Foods ...both are around 1/2 hour away so I wonder how far they will make a delivery?

ETA:  Just curious what those of you who use this service give for a tip?  Do you tip a percentage of the order?

Respected Contributor

I discovered online grocery shopping when I got really sick for several weeks last winter. It was a lifesaver!  All I had to do was send my husband to pick up the bags of groceries. 

Respected Contributor

I usually don't mind going and doing it myself because I'm one of those shoppers who has to find the very best expiration date on everything. 

I wish they had that service when I had babies though.  I used to hate taking them out in public and putting them in those germy carts this time of year.  Back in the day it was rare to even find those disinfectant wipes next to the carts, although I did always have my own on hand. 

Honored Contributor

I've been using Wal-Mart's grocery pick-up service for several years and can no longer make myself go to a grocery store.  They also deliver but the store is less than a mile so running up to pick them up is no chore.  The kids who work there are so nice and helpful.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I'm with you OP. I do FreshDirect every Sunday.  I would not dream of doing my routine shopping in an actual store with all the horrible people who shop there and bump me with their cart, block the produce I'm trying to get at and push up behind me when in line.  I just sit in my jammies and wait for my Sunday morning delivery.  And if even one tiny thing is wrong I can get a refund or replacement so easily. I only pop into the grocery store now for a last minute thing I forgot or for the odd thing FD doesn't carry.  One bag is the max!

Esteemed Contributor

My SHIPT shopper is the best.  Shops at Publix for me.  I have never been disappointed with her choice! 

SHIPT was a lifesaver when I was recovering from surgery.