Esteemed Contributor

Re: I hate it when stores move everything around so you can't find anything!

On 9/1/2014 Lotus~ said:

Sometimes I wonder if it's a marketing tool....gets you to walk around more....see new things, and impulse buy.

It is definitely a sales strategy - just like putting so many things in the aisles that you have to go around, and get backed up when several people are trying to get through. Hoping you'll stop long enough to see something and make that impulse buy. Everything they do is geared toward increasing sales, but all they did for me was cause me not to shop there so often!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Valued Contributor

Costco does seem to move things around occasionally but I attribute it to the desire to have a "prototype" store, so that you can shop in any one of their stores and find whatever you need. Our local Stop and Shop supermarket recently did the same and it's a real pain in the neck. Almost a year has gone by since they've changed the store around and I still have to wander around to find things.

Maria

Honored Contributor

On 9/1/2014 terrier3 said:

My Wegmans just was remodeled...and everything was moved around.

It's driving me nuts!!!

The ONLY saving grace for that is they updated the app as they were doing it, so I was able to find where they moved stuff to. Still annoying! I enjoy shopping at Wegmans but the last few weeks was not enjoyable.

And yes, the email with the heads up was most appreciative. I was no surprised when I went in there AND they had 2 people in each area manning their posts to help people find stuff while it was in transition.

Giant, on the other hand, reorganized their entire store sometime between Monday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving one year. Everyone had been in the week before or that weekend and got their basics and their non-perishables for Thanksgiving. So imagine the horror when we all came in on Wednesday to get the last few things we needed and the whole place had been turned upside down.

Who reorganizes a store before the biggest cooking holiday of the year?

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

Our Wegmans was re-organized a few years ago and I'm finally getting used to it so I guess they'll be changing it around again soon.They did this because they added a liquor store at the time.
Honored Contributor

I am a list shopper at Costco. If I am alone I can be in and out in 15 minutes. They move things around so people like me have to spend more time in the store looking for their item so they will see other things (not on list) and spend more money. I allow myself one extra item but otherwise I am pretty good at sticking to list.

Regular Contributor

This is why I don't shop the A&P that is in town, it used to be primary grocery store. Now I go to Shop Rite one town over, they have better prices anyway. P.S. Costco isn't the only one that moves things around, Sam's and BJ's do it too. I think mainy it for seasonal items that they want people to see/buy before they have to bring out new stuff.

Trusted Contributor

The Kroger where I shop is in the middle of a massive remodeling and they're moving the aisles around every few days. They actually have employees standing around the store with maps for the customers.

Occasional Contributor

It's a treasure hunt! And yes, I wish they wouldn't do it.

There's a grocery store that I otherwise like, that puts some types of things in different parts of the store at the SAME time. For example, bread can be found in at least three different places....

Honored Contributor

I had the same problem at a local grocery store last week. I needed corn starch and corn meal (to make corn bread) and it took me 15 to 20 minutes to locate it. I couldn't even find a stock clerk to ask where they moved it or why. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Yes, they did, in fact, move it.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/1/2014 Kathleen said:

This must be "musical chairs" time for retailers.

A couple of stores around here have done just that. In one store, I went to find an employee with my list ... and had him give me aisle numbers for all the stuff I was looking for. I don't like roaming up and down aisles looking for stuff.

Brilliant!

I don't mind because it makes my eyes new, but if I'm in a rush that will not work.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.