Honored Contributor

I hate it, I love it, what the heck happened?

In continuing with the great poll of most disliked vegetable - 

What food did you dislike as an ADULT and later changed your mind?

I dislike olives - all kinds. If it is on a veggie pizza, I take it off. I know what olives taste like and I just don't like it. Then one day, for no apparent reason, I had a craving for olives - got a veggie pizza and ate it, just like that. 

Then it had to be olives with pimento or olives that are pitted. Now, I just like olives that are firmer, I don't like the mushiess.

I still hate cilantro and I love Mexican so it is always a battle lol

I don't like wine although I love the idea of wine. It looks so good on TV. Something about the swirling and the stemware, I suppose. Maybe I will love it someday.

Respected Contributor

Re: I hate it, I love it, what the heck happened?

I never liked horseradish, then I tried some cream cheese one day that had horseradish in it, and loved it! Now I like horseradish in everything...even Deviled eggs....

Respected Contributor

I never liked rye bread, then one day I took a bite of a Reuben and loved it. Now I like rye with almost everything. Except PB and J.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, these aren't vegetables, but I've noticed that my taste in food has really changed over the last few years and I don't know why or what brought it on.  As a young adult I wasn't overly fond of pizza.  I didn't hate it and, in fact, would have a slice once a year or so.  But a couple of years ago I started eating it a lot and really loving it.  I even get cravings  for it now and feel like I have to have it.  Seems so bizarre to me!  Same thing with french fries -- never, ever ate them because I just didn't like them.  Now I actually get in the mood for them sometimes.  Weird.  

Honored Contributor

If I don't like it, I won't try it.  My list of dislikes only gets bigger, not less.

Contributor

My DD says you taste buds change every ten years. She hated onions know she loves them. I was the same why with horseradish now imlike it a lot.

Honored Contributor

That's very funny about not liking a certain food all of your life then all of a sudden having a craving for it.  It's happened to me too though I can't remember what the food was right now.

I've always loved olives...even more so now and both my husband and I have become olive oil snobs...only the best will do! Smiley Happy  However olives are not something that I like on pizza.

Esteemed Contributor

There are many veggies I dislike...olives and celery are among them....unfortunately...still hate them....can't think of one veggie I hated then liked later in life...

Honored Contributor

One thing that I never used to like at all was ginger. Could not even stand the smell. Now I can eat it like candy. Yes, candy. Why? Who knows but I love it.

Never really cared for peas, brussel sprouts or lima beans and still don't, although I will eat brusseel sprouts roasted with a tad of olive oil. That is actually pretty decent. I will eat peas and lima beans though, even though I don't like them. And peas are pretty good if fresh- I cannot stand canned peas but I really dislike canned veggies in general.

I never used to like sweet potatoes either but now I am fine with them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

In continuing with the great poll of most disliked vegetable - 

What food did you dislike as an ADULT and later changed your mind?

I dislike olives - all kinds. If it is on a veggie pizza, I take it off. I know what olives taste like and I just don't like it. Then one day, for no apparent reason, I had a craving for olives - got a veggie pizza and ate it, just like that. 

Then it had to be olives with pimento or olives that are pitted. Now, I just like olives that are firmer, I don't like the mushiess.

I still hate cilantro and I love Mexican so it is always a battle lol

I don't like wine although I love the idea of wine. It looks so good on TV. Something about the swirling and the stemware, I suppose. Maybe I will love it someday.

@Yahooey

Re the cilantro, many don't care for it because it tastes like soap.  I use Italian parsley when cooking Mexican or TexMex at home.