Honored Contributor

I just got the Wilton Easy Layers cake pan set. It's four shallow rectangular cake pans that let you bake a multi-layer cake using a cake mix. I'll be giving it a try on the 16th or so when I bake a chocolate cake. It looks like a neat way to sneak in extra frosting which is always a good thing. Amazon had it marked down recently so I picked it up and it came today.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenmanEnjoy your new purchase. Let us know how it goes.  Yummm...

Respected Contributor

@gardenman  that's sounds great - let us know how it goes.

Honored Contributor

YUM Chocolate Cake. I always bake a cake in a 13 x 9 sheet pan since it's so much easier. LOL!!!

If you have not tried Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake you should try it. It's so good. Would make a yummy layered cake.

Come back to post pictures of your cake & let us know how it turns out.

Honored Contributor

My only real concern is the cakes doming, but I can use the pans as a guide for a serrated knife to remove any dome, so it should work out pretty well. There's something you do in the mixing process that's supposed to limit doming, but I don't remember what it is. I'll have to research that before I make the cake.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@gardenmansounds delish, I like a little cake with my frosting !!!

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman - I hope you enjoy this set! I think it's really fun to use and the results are fairly impressive without much work, so I ended up purchasing almost all of the Wilton Easy Layers pan variations after buying my first one. I have the square, the rectangle, the 6" and 8" round, and the loaf pan versions. There's also a heart, but I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it. If you need ideas for usage, I found the customer images section for each of the pan styles on Amazon to be fairly inspirational. Have fun...

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman, I also recently purchased those pans and I am not sure how they will work. They look very shallow, but supposedly, a basic cake mix box is used. Please let us know how it turns out. I have several ideas for making a cake for a holiday party. I got the Russian decorating tips when Wolfgang was on, so was thinking of using those to make some kind of pretty thing on the top. I plan to just frost between the layers (not the whole cake) and maybe sprinkle some chopped candy canes on top?

It reminds me of those pretty cakes in holiday catalogs that never taste as good as they look, so I thought I would give it a try. Can't wait to hear/see how yours turn out.

Honored Contributor

It's good to buy at a discount but why do you need Wilton pans?

Can't you just use regular cake pans and divide the batter 4 ways?

I buy Wilton products at Michael's with a coupon.

@gardenman wrote:

I just got the Wilton Easy Layers cake pan set. It's four shallow rectangular cake pans that let you bake a multi-layer cake using a cake mix. I'll be giving it a try on the 16th or so when I bake a chocolate cake. It looks like a neat way to sneak in extra frosting which is always a good thing. Amazon had it marked down recently so I picked it up and it came today.

Honored Contributor

Re: I got a new toy.

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

My only real concern is the cakes doming, but I can use the pans as a guide for a serrated knife to remove any dome, so it should work out pretty well. There's something you do in the mixing process that's supposed to limit doming, but I don't remember what it is. I'll have to research that before I make the cake.

@gardenman 

A friend told me you can cut an old clean towel in strips that will fit around the outside of your cake pans. I have never tried it. Just wet the strips & pin tightly around the pans. Smack on counter to remove air bubbles. If you try it let me know if it works. 

It must be true. I just Googled it. They already sell strips you can wet to put around your cake pans on Amazon. Who knew?

They are called Bake Even Strips for $12.98.