Honored Contributor

I feel like I never get out of the kitchen this time of year!

The garden is really ramped up and we are picking daily. I feel like, at this time of the year, I'm processing food all day, every day. It really isn't that bad, but seems like it sometimes.

I'm grateful for the bounty of fresh homegrow produce, but wish it would be available longer throughout the season, and in smaller amounts each day! Would be nice to spread it out more.

Anyone else overloaded with garden produce?

Respected Contributor

Re: I feel like I never get out of the kitchen this time of year!

I used to be but the family got together and planted a large garden at my aunts, so we all work together and take turns working it. A great deal of ours is already done, but we are in the deep south, so we have time for more planting for later season veggies.
Esteemed Contributor

After you pick, can you store it for a day or two in a very cool basement until you get to it?

I feel for ya! I don't garden much as it's a full time task and I work ft but I feel this way when I come in with a haul of fresh goodies from the farmer's market.

With prices skyrocketing I'll be thrilled to look at my haul in the freezer this winter!!

Esteemed Contributor

I am getting about 2 zucchinis a day...the neigbors pull their shades down if they see me coming with them...LOL Smiley Very Happy

Tomatoes are loving the sun the last couple days...maybe we will have a decent amount after all.....

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

After you pick, can you store it for a day or two in a very cool basement until you get to it?

I feel for ya! I don't garden much as it's a full time task and I work ft but I feel this way when I come in with a haul of fresh goodies from the farmer's market.

With prices skyrocketing I'll be thrilled to look at my haul in the freezer this winter!!

Funny, but my experience with homegrown veggies is that if not dealt with in the first 24 hours, there is a real downgrade in quality. Some things, like tomatoes, and zucchini will hold, of course, but green beans and cucumbers are soft after just a few hours. Same with broccoli.

My husband just plants too much. I can't seem to get him to back it down a notch or two, and we end up giving away as much as we use.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I am getting about 2 zucchinis a day...the neigbors pull their shades down if they see me coming with them...LOL Smiley Very Happy

Tomatoes are loving the sun the last couple days...maybe we will have a decent amount after all.....

And zucchini goes so much further than you think it would, doesn't it?

We are getting probably 8 or more a day, and I'm starting to dream about produce. Not good dreams, either.

Respected Contributor

Has anyone considered donating your excess produce?  At my church, we set up a table inside near the entrance.  People bring in all kinds of produce to share:  tomatoes, cukes, squash, peppers, apples, fresh eggs, and so on.  There  are grocery bags available to use.  We have a fair amount of elderly people who live on fixed incomes and cannot grow vegetables.  They are thrilled to get these items to supplement their diets.  We have people who have lost jobs and they are happy to get fresh vegetables as well. 

The price of fresh produce is high in the stores and the farmers market.  See if your churches would be willing to allow members to bring their excess for those who struggle.

Honored Contributor

I volunteer at a local food bank and we get regular donations of homegrown produce.  It is very much appreciated by the clients.