Honored Contributor

Re: I did it AGAIN and I just have to vent...

@house_cat 

Sweetie, I'm so sorry.  I had pretty good oriental take out tonight since DH can't eat before his test.

Let me know and I'll give you a yummy beef stew with onions, mushrooms, and burgandy for the crock pot nect time.  

Or, do you have a Fresh Market?

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

We usually just eat out.  We never get delivery.  Sometimes we will do pick-up.  I haven't really been dissatisfied with anything except Zaxby's.  Their takout salad was very disappointing and I haven't really wanted to try again until they get back to in-store dining.  

@Icegoddess 

I'm SO sorry.  We do great with the chicken plate.  I always have 2 pieces left.  They make great fries, I get maybe 3!Smiley Happy

The "Zalad" is a very modest dish.

@ECBG 

I like their boneless wings meal, but fries need to be eaten while they're still hot.

It could just be that at that time they weren't getting all the fresh produce in due to all the pandemic issues.  I just know it wan't the same.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

We usually just eat out.  We never get delivery.  Sometimes we will do pick-up.  I haven't really been dissatisfied with anything except Zaxby's.  Their takout salad was very disappointing and I haven't really wanted to try again until they get back to in-store dining.  

@Icegoddess 

I'm SO sorry.  We do great with the chicken plate.  I always have 2 pieces left.  They make great fries, I get maybe 3!Smiley Happy

@ECBG 

I like their boneless wings meal, but fries need to be eaten while they're still hot.

It could just be that at that time they weren't getting all the fresh produce in due to all the pandemic issues.  I just know it wan't the same.

@Icegoddess 

Oh Honey!  The fries everywhere need to be hot!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

I hear ya loud and clear!!!

I swore off eating out or take out for the main reason we don't frequent chain places & prefer local family restaurants. All the below have take-out available.  We went back out and it's quickly coming to a halt...

1) "family" restaurant we frequented and went back last

month before Christmas was terrible.  I mean who can ruin egg omelets 🙄  dinner was $32.00 (2) w/tip.

2) took a friend to lunch at the #1 family owned italian restaurant for her bday after Christmas  -- lunch cost me w/tip $42.

Terrible food dry and honestly, who can ruin baked ziti😳

(then my spouse said that was probably 3 days old and reheated🤔)

3) Favorite steak place - spouse ordered rib eye & I got steak tips.  I know he didn't enjoy his -- the steak was full of grizzle and he could hardly eat it.  At $22.95 he left 1/2 of it stating he wasn't to hungry.  This time I complained -- he had a fit ...guess what they offered $5 off his meal🤷‍♀️😳.  

Now you think we'd learn a lesson -- NOT!!  Friends told us this weekend about this "family" place that offered great soups and salads.  Tonight we went.  The soup choice was vegetable beef, italan wedding and split pea .. We both got a bowl of wedding soup and I use that term lightly (3 spoonfuls) was $5.59.  Dishwater taste better! We ordered a garden salad (small bowl) - bagged lettuce, 1 tomato wedge and 1 slice cucumber w/croutons - With tip $30 came home and had pb&j.

That's it I told him!!  Next time we go out will be awhile.  I can't imagine how nothing tastes good, food dry or maybe it's me!  I like to cook and I'm convinced the cooks are not the same OR food is not fresh ...he doesn't "complain" and says I'm too picky!  A crappy hamburger from fast food would probably be better...

And @house_cat we aren't a cranky old farts we just know what good food tastes like and it's our own!  before pandemic we loved these places it's obvious quality is gone☹️ and maybe it's beyond their control.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess 

@ECBG 

@Icegoddess 

Oh Honey!  The fries everywhere need to be hot!!!Smiley Happy

@ECBG yes they do, so I haven't been getting takeout fries anywhere.  However, the air fryer is good at re-crisping fries, so I do bring fries home when I get a to-go box when eating out.

Respected Contributor

That's a lot of money for food that no one enjoyed. Very disappointing for sure.

Respected Contributor

Even before the virus, we did not eat out more than a couple of times per month.  I am health conscious and since the menus, with nutritional value, have been put online for the chain restaurants, I check them.  What a wake up call for me.  The sodium and fat content of most entrees was shocking to me.  I knew restaurant food was heavily salted, but did not know just how much.  And so many restaurants rely on heavily processed food, nothing fresh.  

I most always just get a large salad, sometimes with shrimp or grilled chicken.  Just so I do not get two days worth of salt in one meal.  

So many foods are not good after they have cooled so take out is not always ideal.  It is frustrating trying to support the restaurants and getting food that is not good.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

We live in an area where eating out is not a treat.  We lived in Tennesse for a time and had many good places to eat but here in Florida where we live it is a lot of overpriced tourist food.  Our bar is pretty low here.  No imagination or out of the box food.  I try when we eat out to get something I could not easily fix at home.  However, good chinese, mexican etc. does not exist here. 

Honored Contributor

What a shame you have lousy restaurants. I live rural and all of our restaurants are locally owned. Their food is FANTASTIC!! In fact, tomorrow we are gettting takeout, once again, from our little local chinese place. I can't wait!! Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Contributor

I would love your beef stew recipe. Thank you.